page 250

"You wanna know why i have this limp Tommy? Did i ever tell you? No i dont think i did"

"What happened?" Thomas asked, stalling for time. He slipped his fingers around the weapon.

"I tried to kill myself in the maze. Climbed halfway up one of those bloody walls jumped right off. Alby found me and dragged me back to the Glade right before the doors closed. I hated the place Tommy. I hated every second of everyday. And it was all....your...fault!"

Newt suddenly twisted around and grabbed Thomas by the hand holding the gun. He yanked it toward himself, forcing it up until it was pressed against hsi own forehead.

"Now make amends! Kill me before i become one of those cannibal monsters! I trusted you with the note! No one else! Now do it!"

Thomas tried to pull his hand away, but Newt was too strong. "I cant, Newt, I cant"

"Make amends! Repent for what you did!" The words tore out of him, his body trembling. Then his voice dropped to an urgent, harsh whisper. "Kill me, you shuck coward. Prove you can do the right thing. Put me out of my misery."

The words horrified Thomas. "Newt, maybe we can-"

"Shut up! Just shut up! I trusted you! Now do it!"

"I cant."

"Do it!"

"I cant!" How could Newt ask him to do something like this? How could he possibly kill one of his best friends?

"Kill me! or I'll kill you! Kill me! Do it!"

"Newt..."

"Do it! Before I become one of them!"

"I..."

"KILL ME!" And then Newt's eyes cleared, as if he gained one last trembling gasp of sanity, and his voice softened, "Please, Tommy. Please"

With his heart falling into a black abyss, Thomas pulled the trigger.