Chapter 4

"So, the reason we decided to have this meeting is to see how this semester has been going for you guys, as tutors. Is there anything you noticed that needs to get better or any concerns. This is the time to let out any thoughts that you guys have had about the program of AVID..."

Our main boss/teacher, Ms. Escobar, currently had all of us in her classroom during our grading period.

I personally had nothing bad to say about the program, so I assumed that the same was for the rest of the tutors.

"Well, it doesn't have to do with the program, but more with the students themselves. I've noticed that many of them pick questions that they already know the answer to. It makes me feel like they are simply wasting my time and not taking advantage of this opportunity that they have..." My co-worker, Taylor, decides to start rambling about her concerns.

The rest of us just continue to hear her, when suddenly David speaks up as well. "I agree with her. And I've told my students the same exact thing. What I usually do is mark off points or sometimes I don't even grade their tutorial."

"That is a concern. We'll have to talk to all of our students and make it clear to them... Anything else that you guys have noticed? Austin? Becky?"

"Not really Ms. Escobar, not in my case. The students have been really good with me, so it's good," I answer to her.

"As for me, I've actually noticed something as well. In my classroom for Mrs. Lake, our tutors are not showing up lately. Sometimes I'm the only tutor that is in that class. I don't mind doing the work, but it would be nice to have someone else to work with and that way the students can get more help as well," Austin tells the group.

"That's good that you told us that. Which means that we'll have to move one of you to follow the same classes as Austin," Ms. Escobar says and I notice her instantly looking at me. "How about you Becky?"

"Sure Ms. Escobar. I wouldn't mind making a switch to the other class."

"That's great to hear. After all, you just started to go to that classroom so there is no reason for being attached to the students or vice versa."

I agree with her and we continue to speak for a while. "Also, you should have each other's phone numbers. That way if one of you can't make it to work, you can let the others know. I'll also give you guys my phone number so you can also let me know." She takes out her phone and checks for the number, " You know when you get a new phone number and you still don't remember it? It's so crazy because you forget that you changed numbers sometimes. Anyways, here's my number." She tells us and then we all made sure to save it.

The bell then rings, notifying us to move to the next class. "Ok everyone, thanks for helping us get a better idea of what to do with the program. After the next two classes you're officially on winter break from work. Yay!"

We all agree with her and then head out of her class and towards the next classroom. "Well that was interesting." I sarcastically say, as Austin and I walk to the next class.

"Right? Can't believe Taylor and David agreed about the students not doing a good job. If anything, we the tutors are the ones that need to improve by helping out students ask more educated questions," Austin tell me.

"Well, that's true. By the way, why didn't you say that in the meeting?"

"Because, have you seen how passionately and defensive Taylor can get? She goes all out and argues her point and sometimes she intimidates me a bit."

"Wait, so you're scared of Taylor?" I laugh at my comment and notice his facial expression, like if he got caught.

"A little bit. Not too much."