ground rules(35)

*UNEDITED*

"If you want to talk to me and you expect me to answer, fix things with your mum. I am angry with you till whenever that is" Zayd says to a pouting Alina. It has been a whole week and she has not budged.

"But Ammi and I are good," she says, I knew it! "Don't start with me Alina, I took the day off not for you to pester me throughout" he grumbles and she sighs.

She comes up to me and drops beside me "are we good mami?" She asks and Zayd looks up at me from his phone, begging me to give her a hard time with his eyes.

"I'm good if you are, if not, bye-bye," I tell her. "I'm good" she drones "prove it" I state and she immediately frowns, "how?"

I tap my cheek and she rolls her eyes but cracks a small smile. Yeahhhh, she's good.

I look to zayd to find him shaking his head with a smile plastered on his face. She gives me a small kiss on the cheek and I pull her in to shower her with kisses. She erupts in laughter and so do I.

Her dad happily welcomes her this time around and I smile at the sight. MashaAllah.

~

"But mami, it's Saturday, you promised me ice cream on Saturdays" Alina complains and I gape "you were 5, how do you even remember that?" I question in surprise "it's ice cream!" Was her answer and  I could do nothing but stare agape.

She continued to look at me expectantly and I sighed after a brief while. "Get me my car key they call Ayaan and Fahima if they're interested, if one isn't, get Noor, if both aren't just come" I instruct and she nods slowly "why do they have to come, I asked" she complained "they get to come because I also get you ice cream when either of them asks now hurry," I tell her and she proceeds to drag herself away to do as told.

Drama queen

Luckily Zayd does not work on the weekends except when necessary so he's at home right now. I walk up to him and put my hand out "what?" He asks and I shrug

"Ice cream money," I tell him and he frowns "I have been paying for that for a while now and you're at home today so it's your turn to chip in. That or you can tell your children they don't get ice cream" I inform and he rolls his eyes pulling out his wallet and handing it to me.

"Don't worry, my debit card isn't in there" he says and I scowl at him "bissalam" he yells after me as I walk away "oh shut up".

°°°~°°°

"Just give me coconut" I smile and the teen nods at me returning my smile. The kids ordered their ridiculous flavors already and went to find a seat, leaving me to pay for it in peace.

I handed him the money and walked off to find the kids. I do, not long after and I move towards them to take a seat.

I notice a guy talking to Alina, he's being way too friendly and I do not like it. "Hey, kids" I call with a smile as I take my seat.

They all reply and I eye up the young man. "Why don't you take a seat," I tell him and he gives a nervous laugh.

"I insist," I tell him and he does as told. "Name and business" I state "Kamal. I don't really work I..."

"Kamal, I meant what are you doing here, I know you don't work yet, I'm not stupid," I tell him and he nods.

"Your um... Your, she... " he stutters and I raise a brow while using hand motions to encourage him "she interests me" he finally says "who Noor" I mock and he shakes his head "Alina" he says and I sigh without saying another word again.

He excuses himself after a while and I don't bring him up, we finish our ice creams in peace.

Once we reach the house I allow the kids to go on but pull Alina to the side. "Tell me, what was that guy on about?" I question and she audibly gulps. "Alina" I call and she looks into my eyes "don't worry, nothing will happen, I just want to know," I say softly and she sighs.

"He asked for my number" ya ilahi, can't this girl be returned to her child form, I didn't need to deal with boys at least.

I rub my hand down my face. "And..." I urge "I gave it to him" she mumbles and I groan softly, of course, she did.

"Ok, ground rules. No phone calls from 7" I start but she makes a face "but Mami, I don't come home early as it is" she complains and I raise a brow but ignore her "you can have as many guy friends as you wish but you have to have a husband picked out for whenever your dad and I want you to get married. No boyfriends, you will not meet any one of them unless, under me or your father's supervision" I continue, she only keeps a frown on her face while listening to me. I put a finger to my chin, thinking of any other thing but when I don't think of anything I clap my hands.

"I'll tell you if there's anything else" I finish with a smile and she rolls her eyes stomping into the house.

Ah, how I love being a mom

I follow her in and my lovely family greets me, I had no idea they were coming over, I didn't prepare for their visit but I was thrilled nonetheless.

"Surprise" they lightly yell and I give a broad smile and proceed to share hugs and kisses. You might think I meant my immediate family right, well you would be mistaken. My dad, mum, Zhara ma, Ya beebah with her husband and kids, Ihsan with her husband and kids, and all my brothers with their wives and kids.

I know I love how huge this house is but it's moments like this that make me appreciate it even more.

"These kids are sleeping over here" Ya Beebah informs in the heat of our conversation and I gape "all of them?" I nearly exclaim and she gives a sheepish smile. "Sorry we didn't give you a heads up" I glare at Ihsan shutting her up. "Why?" I question but no one gives an answer and I huff.

Jabir, Nabila, Najma, Khabir, Khalil, Siddiq, Furqan, Maryam, Aj, Zafran, Khadija, Aysha, Amjad, Amina, Aliya, Aliyu, and Abbas

17 bloody children, plus my 6.

"I'm supposed to take care of 23 children?" I exclaim finally losing my cool and they nervously chuckle.

I am suddenly less ecstatic about their surprise visit.