03.

Chapter 3

Not Partners?

Akemi studied herself on the mirror. It was prom night and she couldn't be any more nervous. There was no reason for her to be though, considering her temporary crisis had already been solved. What could go wrong? She got herself a prom date and she played her part in decorating the school gymnasium. Plus, Akemi worked hard in pampering herself for more than three hours just to achieve the look she have right now.

Her curled hair and her makeup looked surprisingly good, much to her relief. The wrap-front ruched detail green velvet dress she wore complimented her form very well and she paired it with some white strapped heels. It took her about an hour to decided whether she should wear the black or white one. Thankfully, Ae Ri came to the rescue and persuaded her to choose the white one since it went better with the dress.

The sound of honking caught her attention and she immediately grabbed her purse,  sprinted through the flight of stairs only for her mom to hold her hostage.

"Honey, you look gorgeous!"

"Thanks mom. I have to go, my ride's here."

"Is Ae Ri taking you to the venue?"

"Yep. Win's driving."

"Tell her I said hi, okay?"

She nodded.

"Oh and Akemi?"

"Mom, I really have to go," she pleaded.

"Have fun, baby."

Akemi smiled. "I will."

"WHOO, GIRL YOU LOOK AMAZING!"

Akemi fought the smile that was forming upon hearing Ae Ri's shouts from the car. The night looked especially pretty tonight. 'Midnight City' was blasting from the car speakers but she didn't mind. Akemi would rather spend her entire car ride listening to it than to drown in her anxious thoughts in silence.

She scanned Ae Ri's form before letting out a long whistle. "You look straight out of a magazine, Riri."

"Hey, Win said that to me earlier!" Ae Ri gasped.

"That only proves how beautiful you are."

A snort came from the driver's seat. "How about me? I'm here too," Win pouted.

"Oh God, you never told me your partner's a crybaby."

Both female bursted out laughing as they drove off into the school. It didn't take them long to arrive. There were already a ton of students in sight even though the program doesn't start for twenty minutes. Akermi's nerves were all over the place. She felt excited, giddy, thrilled... and was excited mentioned?

"Win and I are going to the photo booth. Do you want to come with us?"

She shook her head. "I can't. I have to join the other officers. You two have fun though."

"Okay. See you later, gorgeous!"

The two waved at one another until they were out of sight. Akemi strolled for a bit in the area just to let herself adjust to her surroundings. Her honest tell was that the decorations are amazing━ they are amazing for being able to turn the boring setting into something visually appealing.

"I've been looking everywhere for you."

Akemi whipped her head to see the owner of the voice. She fell silent and studied him for a few moments, letting him study her in return. Her eyes roamed his choice of clothing which was a grey suit paired with some matching trousers. She hated herself for thinking how he looks handsome in it.

Akemi had felt a bit like a creep while staring but she did notice him checking her out which, definitely not a fact, is making her body warm. She took a deep breath before looking up to meet his eyes. "Did someone call for me?"

"Jungwon did."

Her eyes lit up. "He did?"

He nodded.

Silence. It irked Akemi how unusually he was acting. She had expected some sort of insult from him whether it's about her looks or her dress or even her hair. How come he's just standing there? Staring at her even.

"You look pretty," he blurted out.

Her stomach dropped. There was no way he just said that.

"I━what?"

"Pretty ugly."

Oh. There it is, people. There it freaking is.

"Don't worry. I'll keep that little slip up as a secret."

He poked the inside of his cheek with his tongue. "Very funny."

"I wasn't trying to be funny."

"And I absolutely need a drink," he mumbled.

"We're minors."

He glared at her. Akemi shrugged. "Not that I care about your health or anything." To that, he lowered his gaze to her bare neck, but not before she could see the corner of his mouth twitch. When he looked up again, his expression was serious. "Pepsi."

She licked her lips wet, completely dumbfounded. "What do you mean?"

"When I mentioned drinks, I meant Pepsi."

God, you're such an idiot Akemi.

The entire gymnasium was crammed. Akemi had to push through the crowd just to make space for her body to move accordingly to her destination━ and right now, she was heading towards Sunoo. She called out his name in which she earned a bright smile from him. He waved at her excitedly. "Woah, I love your dress!" He complimented eagerly.

"Thank you. You look dashing."

Indeed he was. With his slicked hair and eye makeup... no doubt he'd be making both genders sway over him. Sunoo was dressed in a basic black suit but the thing was it didn't look basic at all. Not when he's the one wearing it.

"Have you seen Jungwon?"

"Yeah, I think I saw him talking with a senior earlier."

"Cool, thanks."

"Where's your partner?" He inquired.

"Actually, I have no idea," she laughed. "I haven't caught sight of Junghwan this entire time."

"Junghwan? I thought you and Ni-ki were partners."

Me and the dickwad? As if I'd agree to his offer.

"Oh no, I think you're mistaken."

He tilted his head. "Am I?"

Ameki paused to process whatever he meant by that before clearing her throat. "Well. This was fun." Sunoo smirked. "The pleasure's all mine."

"I'll see you around?.."

"See ya."

____________________
a/n: the photo above is a visualizer of Akemi & Ae Ri's prom fits.