Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"A life without Kyojuro"

Every single day, was hard for Akari. In the 2 years she had with Kyojuro, it was hard not having him around or at least seeing him. Akari would find herself dreaming about him. She would often go to their favorite spot up the hills. With her growing stomach, she had a hard time doing things on her own, luckily, she's got friends and family by her side. Tengen, Gyomei and Sanemi would visit her more often. She had her daily counseling with Amane and Kagaya. Shinobu is always by her side. And she had time for Senjuro. She also honored the Rengoku family tradition, where the pregnant women would 'supposedly' stare at a burning fire in the course of their pregnancy. This is absurd, she thought. But she did it anyway, and did every tradition Shinjuro throws at her.

Four months have passed, and yet, the pain had stayed with her in all of the course of those months. I guess there is really no escape from this. She sometimes would find herself crying out of nowhere. She sighed, looking at the big bright moon, just outside of the Butterfly Mansion. "A long time ago, I would look at the moon, thinking of Kanae. Now, I'm looking at it, thinking of the both of you", she mumbled under her breath, in a form of a whisper. She was alone. "I thought I'd be naming our baby, Kajuro. I didn't know I'd be naming two", she chuckled at what she said. She had a box on her side and a diary on the other. She had kept a diary since the day Tanjiro had insulted her – in a nice way – and recorded every emotion she's feeling and every single thing that happened in the days of her life. Sometimes, she would just write down random things, like what had happened on her first date with Kyojuro, because it was a moment she would never forget. On the other side, where a box made of soft wood – resembling a bento box – has been sitting on, she opened it and there she found a ribbon that belonged to her sister, Koji. She kissed the ribbon with tears on her eyes. "Why do I keep losing people? Why?", she said to herself while crying. She deeply missed those who have passed on. "How will I ever get back up? I feel like I'm cursed", she said to herself, letting herself down. Then, a breeze brushed against her face, more like a touch of someone she holds dear. She stops from crying. She felt hands on her shoulders, it seemed like someone was comforting her. It wasn't Shinobu, she's quite busy. It wasn't Tanjiro, Inosuke or Zenitsu, they're asleep. It wasn't Kanao, Sumi, Naho, Kiyo or Aoi, they're asleep as well. "Who are you?", she found herself asking. The breeze had continued coming, the flowers dancing. She felt a hand touch her hand and a hand on her stomach, a kiss on her cheek. "Kyojuro!", she turned around to see no one. But she felt it. She knew she felt it. Am I going crazy? She thought to herself, but that's was impossible, for she was sure that she felt something. Looking back at the moon, she smiled. "I love you, too", she said to the moon that shined even so brightly that it did before. She blew kisses and calmed herself. She set the ribbon down to its box and brought both the box and diary with her as she went to bed. This was the start of her life without Kyojuro. If only things were different, but there not. And as soon as her head touch the pillow, she fell asleep, happily smiling.

*After Entertainment District Arc

Another few months have passed and everything went smoothly for Akari. Well, in the time of 'Tengen's kidnapping', she scolded him so hard for taking girls from the Butterfly Mansion without her permission and for slapping Aoi on the butt. "You are such a pervert", she said to him, but never meant it the harsh way. She told him to apologize to the girls. "You should thank me for scolding you, instead of Shinobu, you know she's much worst than me", she said. "No one's worst than you", he replied with a smirk and she slapped him on the side of his arm, laughing. "Whatever", she smirked as well. But she didn't just scold him for that, but also for endangering Tanjiro, Zenitsu, Inosuke and Nezuko's life, including his wives. "Seriously, you should really be more careful and those kids are only half your age", she said angrily, but playfully. "You know, for a pregnant woman like you, you surely like scolding people and being so mean", she gave him a cold glare and eyed him, narrowing her eyes as she raised her right eyebrow. "Just telling the truth and nothing but the truth, the flamboyant way", she laughed. She laughed so hard. First time in forever, where she laughed like herself, when she hasn't lost Kyojuro or Kanae. "It's good to see your stomach getting so big", he smiled at her. She sighed deeply. "Yup, the two of them being all grumpy inside of there. Sometimes, I think I'm having a little Kyojuro inside me. I'm always hungry", she said chuckling, looking at Tengen. "He'd be proud of those three idiots and of his sister", he said, gesturing to Tanjiro and the others. "And I know he's happy, just being with you, even if not physically", she could almost cry, but she gathers all the courage not to. "You really want me to cry, don't you?", she said and eyed him again, but this time, playfully. "The amazing Akari has gone soft. My, my. Kyojuro has done his work well", she laughed with him. "It's a good thing a piece of you is with him. Literally", she joked and he was hysterical, but then stops from crying his eyes out of laughter and stares at her, seriously. "I'm just joking", she added after laughing so hard that she almost choke. All was quiet after their jokes and story-telling. They both felt silent, but it was enough for them. Tengen lost a great friend, but he knows that no matter where Kyojuro is now, he is looking out for them.