04. our song; part two

"Iris, why are you so nervous? I thought you said that you and this girl have hung out before." My older sister Maude said as she applied her 3rd coat of lipgloss in the mirror.

I sighed as I looked into the mirror standing behind her, straightening out my skirt for third time since I put it on. "We have, I just wanna impress her tonight, Maude."

She rolled her eyes before picking up her ringing phone, "Okay," I watched her smile into the phone. Everyone in our tight knit family knew Maude had a major crush on Sydney, but she'd never admit it. Even Conan and Madison knew. "Yeah, we'll be there soon. Love you too." She spoke softly into her phone.

I had a smirk on my face when she looked over at me, "Leave it, Iris. Come on, let's go." She quickly said as she grabbed her purse and we headed out of her room.

"I wish you girls would stay home for a night, you just got here Maude." My mom began to guilt trip my sister, who had somehow figured out how to ignore it.

"Mom, I just got home from months of work. Can't my sister and I have a little bonding time?" She lightly smiled at me before looking at my mom with a more serious face.

"Bonding at a party," my mom snorted before looking back at Maude and then at me, "Maude, keep an eye on your sister."

My dad laughed from the living room where he was sitting in his favorite La-Z-Boy recliner. "Iris, keep on eye on your sister." He said before flipping through the channels on our TV.

My sister was about to say something but somehow found a way to stop herself. I gave my dad a hug goodbye and then went over to my mom to do the same. It might seem childish but I'd always done that, it felt right. Maude did the same.

"Iris, don't do anything stupid." My mom said as she gripped me hard enough to make me shirt wrinkle up. I hugged back and have her a light nod before exchanging 'I love you's' with both of them and finally leaving.

As soon as we stepped out into our driveway I noticed Maude take a flask out of her purse and take a drink of it. I let out a small laugh and shook my head, "I do need to keep an eye on you, huh?"

She shot me a look, "Relax, Rissie. Here if you're so worried, you can drive." She said handing me the keys to her car and heading to the passenger seat.

Maude rarely let me drive her car so to say I was excited was an understatement.

"Can we put the top down?" I asked as we pulled out of the driveway and onto the road.

"If you want your hair to be a mess, sure," She laughed before turning on the radio and connecting her phone. "What do you want to listen to?"

I thought for a moment and smiled to myself as I thought about the conversation I had with my friends a couple hours before. "Our Song." I said as I turned up the volume and pressed the button to put the top down.

I looked over as soon as the song began and saw Maude playing the air banjo to the first part. I couldn't help but laugh, I missed being around her when she was gone.

Halfway through the song I noticed her hand move down towards the volume notch and turn it down.

"So, let's talk about this Olivia girl." She said as the wind traveled harshly through our hair.

It was a perfect fall day. Not too hot. Not too cold. Just the right temperature. But Maude insisted I put the top up now that she was talking so I obliged.

"Okay," I said breathing out, "what about her?"

"What's she like?" She asked. I could see her look at me out of the corner of my eye. I knew she felt like this was the perfect time to play judge and decide if she liked her just by what I tell her.