prologue

Oliver

"You know we can't do this anymore, " Scarlett says.

"The fact that you thought we were doing anything is funny, " I scoff.

"Oliver!" She fumes, "You never listen to me. You don't even trust me and you don't really care about me. "

I don't even care about myself. The person who doesn't care about himself can't care about anybody else.

"All this time, it felt like you were absent. You were lost and you were not even with me except for the few dates we had when we first met. "

I look out the window. The weather looks gloomy today.

"You are not even listening to me right now, " Scarlett concludes.

"Owen would. Wouldn't he? " I say quietly.

Scarlett goes silent. She sighs.

"If he would, I wouldn't be sitting here with you, " Scarlett replies.

I glare at her. How can she even say things like that after what she did?

"How was it though? Better than anything we had, obviously. "

"Your brother forced himself on me and you didn't even say anything to him, " Scarlett says, "You don't care about me that much to say something to your brother when he forces himself on your girlfriend. "

I used to talk to my brother. If we didn't, how would he sign my progress report when I failed history?

We would never talk again.

After what I saw.

"You are so- urgh!" Scarlett says. A few people look at us.

"We are so ov-" I interrupt her.

"We have been over for weeks, Scarlett. It's a pity it took you so long to get that," I say.

"Wow," Scarlett scoffs, "Too scared to get dumped?"

I stand up, "If it was dumping, then I have already dumped you when I saw you kissing Owen."

I leave.

*****

"Will you drop that look?" Jason says in a complaining tone, "We are here to have fun. If you look like that, it's hard to have fun."

"Do I look like I care?" I say, glancing around. "Have fun, right. I am having so much fun right now."

"You had a break up, you were having a hard time so I-" Jason starts.

"Tell me something I don't know," I say.

"Owen doesn't even give a heck about things like you do," Jason says.

"Good for him," I say, "It was always good for him."

"Oliver," Jason says.

"What?" I say, "Did I say something wrong? He needs everything I have and I don't have, including my ex. He doesn't give a heck? Good, I don't either."

Jason sighs, "Let's forget about that for now. Let go-"

"There is nothing to let go off if I am not holding on to it. Hell, if I have something to hold onto," I laugh. "Go and have fun. I would rather go back home and I just don't know."

I shrug.

"I wish you listened to me for once," Jason says, shaking his head.

"Me too, but I won't," I look around, searching for the main door to get out.

"Fine," Jason says, giving up and leaving.

If not for Jason, I would not even get out of my room. Thanks to him now I feel drained of the least amount of energy that I had.

I try to make my way out but there are so many people it's easy to get lost. People bump into my shoulders and I hate it so much. I hate crowded places.

When I am in the yard, finally somewhere a little bit open, someone runs by me and bumps into me so hard, I turn around. I start to react but I hear a laugh.

I look around looking for the source of it automatically and find it in no time.

And I realize I will have a hard time looking away.

*****
A/N: oooooh, Oliver, you have no idea, boy.

From here on, I'd be publishing Oliver's POV of floating. I'd be considering the chapters you all had requested and also adding some of my own. This is gonna be so much fun.

What books are you reading these days? I started reading Where The Crawdads Sing and that one is breaking me piece by piece lol