Chapter Twenty Four | Don't Talk Back

"Okay class, now is the moment you have been waiting for," Mr. Yates said from the front of the classroom, clapping his hands, "I know it's been a month in the waiting. But I finally figured out what your group project is going to be."

Chloe sat back in her seat, crossing her arms, attempting to look like she doesn't give a crap. That she would rather be anywhere than here.

But that couldn't be further from the truth. She did and wanted to be someplace else, that part was true. But she did give a crap, she gave a lot of crap in fact.

Her emotions are all over the place. Especially after the conversation with Ana yesterday. Chloe can't figure out how she feels. Everything is such a mess.

She thought it would be good to go to school today instead of sitting at home in her thoughts and anger.

Besides, who knows what everybody at school would think if she didn't show up. Chloe doesn't even have to question if Ana told everybody about the conversation.

Almost everybody has already seen the conversation happen and the failed attempt Chloe made to get in front of the crowd and have everybody disappear.

If they didn't already, then they know for sure now that Chloe has lost every ounce of control that she had over the school.

Chloe's quick and frazzled departure, leaving the commonplace after the conversation with Ana, even furthered her point.

"So, I hope you remember who your group partner is going to be for this project," Mr. Yates said, still drawing out the moment.

Of course, they all remember who their group partner is. At least they all know who Chloe's partner is. There is no way people will let her forget it. It is all she hears when she walks into school.

Well, it's not exactly what the gossip is about. It or he is the reason why there is gossip.

Chloe's partner for this project is no other than the one and only star football kicker, Dallon Kylander.

Chloe started to feel uncomfortable, all eyes were on her. Every nerve in her body wanted to either scrunch up or run away. But those two reactions were what everybody in the room wanted.

Refusing to give the audience more attention and reactions they wanted, Chloe didn't move. She debated on sitting up tall and straightening her shoulders, however, she thought that might give too much attention. A reaction and she doesn't want to do either.

"If you don't remember your partner, I completely understand. If you need me to remind you-"

"We all remember our partners. Quit stalling and get on with it!"

The room became quiet. Mr. Yates stopped talking, everybody stopped breathing. The air turned stale and hard if that could ever have happened. Silence echoed around the room, enough to hear a pin drop.

It was no surprise that the sudden outburst came from Chloe. The surprise was the reaction that followed it. Everybody stopped talking and stared at her.

This hasn't happened in who knows how long.

Does that mean she still has control? At least a smidgen of control?

Mr. Yates cleared his throat, "Chloe, I do not appreciate the outburst. And I am sure your classmates didn't either."

A chorus of 'oohs' and 'aww' followed by laughter curled around the classroom.

Chloe could feel the embarrassment creeping into her body, it felt hot like fire. She refused to let it show. Forcing herself to stay put and not move an inch, she quietly cleared her throat. In the corner of her eye, she could see that her classmates were starting to pull out their phones, undoubtedly to spread the news gossip about her.