Chapter 1

For context, this story begins during Season 1- the episode 'Excalibur' where Arthur has turned 21, but from this point it will not follow canon as the wraith will not come to challenge Arthur. I hope you all enjoy this story, I haven't written a fan-fiction or story for quite some time and I'm using this as an opportunity to develop my writing skills for AH English, combining this with Merlin as it's been my stress reliever through the exam period. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to leave them below as I would love to hear them!

I doubt I will write many Author Notes but this one was required as most stories I've read take place after Season 5 and I'm not familiar with the ending, meaning some context was required. (Please do not spoil it!)

3rd Person Narration:

After enjoying the extraordinary celebrations for his Son's 21st Summer, Uther returns to his chamber to have what he thinks will be his most pleasant rest for quite some time. He's achieved his aim and has a grown up, healthy heir who he couldn't be more proud of, even if he won't admit it. He's sure that with a little more time, Arthur will be a great King of Camelot.

When he enters his chambers however, a chilling feeling washes off his body in waves as he closes his window, only to turn around and in horror, find the High Priestess in his room.

"Hello Uther." She says pleasantly.

"It's 'My Lord' to you. Did you fail to understand when I asked you to never show your face in Camelot again? Sorcery and witchcraft of any kind is banned. For good reason." Uther retorts, a regal expression on his face.

However, the Priestess knows better than to believe what the King puts on show.

"The Old Religion cares not for titles, nor your position on sorcery. I am here to have you fulfil your promise to me, and create balance again in this world." The priestess says, moving closer to the door to prevent his escape. Uther grabs the handle of his sword in preparation for a fight, but it melts in his hands, he looks up enraged into the priestess' now golden eyes.

"What promise?" He spits, "The only promise I made to you was fulfilled when you killed my Wife." She maintains eye contact and steps forward.

"I did not kill anyone, I cannot kill anyone. It was written in the great destiny that she would die in childbirth and that you would come to me. You asked me to keep Arthur alive, to make sure you have a healthy heir that could one day rule Camelot. You got your wish, now it's time for you to maintain the balance. I told you that in exchange for his life, you would have to pay with your own. You agreed and Arthur was spared." Uther's eyes soften momentarily with confusion and fear swirling in his mind before he snaps out of it and glares.

"You said nothing of my life. You only stated that someone of great importance to myself would have to be sacrificed in order to gain something new. When you killed my Wife, that debt was paid." Uther explains agitatedly. A brief flash of annoyance crosses the Priestess' eyes, but that soon dissipates as she explains again.

"Uther, both your Wife and Arthur were going to die in childbirth. That was their destiny, and Camelot was going to fall into ruin. However, you changed this and saved Arthur. The Queen did not fulfil your promise. Instead of having balance restored immediately, I have graced you with life, so you could raise your Son and be the King the destiny had written of. Now, your Son is a grown man. He can rule Camelot, so now balance must be restored." She looks pointedly, and he finally understands.