Chapter 5: Alex

Alex sat quietly at the dining table set for three at Nick and Kim's. The couple's spacious apartment in the Village put Alex's shoe-box living space to shame. The décor was sleek and modern. Everything had its place, including their pet goldfish Bubble, whose bowl resembled a studio loft on the upper west side.

Nick sat restlessly to the left of her, busying himself with his phone answering emails. Kim had yet to seat herself, she was too busy scurrying around her sparkling clean kitchen gathering napkins and utensils for dinner.

Thankfully, Nick looked up from his phone long enough to notice the bustle of his girlfriend. "Will we be eating anytime tonight Kim?"

"Hello! I'm getting it ready." She sniped back.

"Getting what ready? We ordered Chinese."

"And what do you plan on eating the Chinese food off of... Or with?" She came out of the kitchen flailing forks and spoons.

"We have these," Nick held up a pair of chopsticks from the restaurant they'd ordered from. "We also have to-go boxes, what more do we need?"

Kim set down a place setting in front of Nick and Alex, then plopped down in the chair across from Alex and laid out a set of her own. "Well excuse me if I happen to enjoy eating like a human being, we don't all come equipped with the sophistication of a bridge troll."

Nick rolled his eyes and began to dig into each container of food with vigor.

Alex timidly reached over, picked up a potstickers container, and set a few on her plate, "Oh how I've missed family dinner. It's just like I'm back home."

Nick looked up from his now very full plate and smirked at Alex, "You too?"

Kim frowned at her friend and her boyfriend, "Could we please refrain from talking about our collectively screwed-up childhoods? You're going to make me lose my appetite."

Alex giggled, "But that's what we always talk about."

Nick quickly chimed in, "Yeah Kim, if you're not yapping away about your dad's gambling habit I'm whining about my pill-popping mother. . . And then there's Alex's family..."

"Nick!" Kim glanced at Alex apologetically, "My boyfriend has a problem with tact."

Alex slouched back in her chair and crossed her arms protectively over herself. "It's fine, really, we all know when it comes to dysfunction my family is the winner among us."

Nick blushed with embarrassment at his insensitive comment, "I'm sorry Al, I just mean that ya know, we all have that in common."

"I know, it's not a problem. Sware."

Kim let out a long drone of a sigh and quickly changed the subject. "Anyway, Alex how did your meeting with Channing go?"

"Pretty good actually, she might have gotten me a part in this new film."

"That's great," Nick applauded. "When's the premiere?"

"Calm down bub, she hasn't even auditioned yet, right Al?" Kim had firmly planted both hands on her hips and was staring back at Alex, waiting for a rational reply.

Alex swallowed loudly and rubbed the palm of her hand against the top side of her thigh. "Well yeah, I mean nothing is set in stone."

Nick looked back and forth between his girlfriend and Alex mid-chew, "Way to kill the dream, Kimmy."

Kim gaped at Nick and dropped her fork which clattered loudly on her dinner plate. She looked as if she were about to really let him have it when suddenly a strange look came across her face. Her hands flew to her stomach and then changed course to meet and cover her mouth. "Excuse me," she mumbled from behind her fingers and scurried towards the hall bathroom.