Chapter One

It was a warm day in mid June 1999. A train headed down the tracks to Capeside, Massachusetts, and 16-year-old Joey Potter sat quietly in a seat by the window staring out the window. Her mom had previously died of breast cancer a few weeks ago, so she was moving in with her dad and stepmother, and stepbrother Dawson. She was excited to see everyone and meet new people, but she was also pretty nervous. Would she fit in? What if no one liked her?

Joey smiled as she remembered that she and Dawson got along and became friends. The bus stopped and Joey grabbed her suitcase and exited the bus. She scanned the crowd and spotted him. standing with a big grin on his face. The two hadn't seen each other in so long, but they still had a healthy father/daughter relationship. Joey approached her father and the two embraced in a big hug.

"Oh, Joey. It's good to see you, baby girl," Mike Potter told his daughter.

"It's good to see you, too, Dad. I've missed you," Joey said.

"I've missed you, too, and so have Gale and Dawson. They can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait to see them again."

They put Joey's stuff in the trunk of Mike's car and started to drive. Minutes later, they approached a cute little two-story house. Gale came out of the house and greeted Joey with a hug.

"Welcome home, Joey. It's great to have you here, honey," Gale said to her.

"It's always a pleasure to be here, Gale. Thank you so much for letting me live here with you guys," Joey told her stepmom.

"Oh, don't mention it, honey. You're always welcome here. I'll show you to your room."

Gale pointed out her room and Joey entered. She placed her suitcase on the bed and began to unpack. Suddenly, two strong arms around her waist picked her up and spun her around.

''Joey!" the blonde boy exclaimed.

He set her down and Joey got a good look at her step-brother.

''Hey, Dawson. You look good," Joey said.

''So do you. So how's Capeside treating you so far?"

"Pretty well. Though the only people I know are you, my dad, and Gale."

"Oh, don't worry. Knowing you, I'm sure you'll have friends in no time. I'm about to head to the mall with a couple of friends. Do you want to join?"

"Sounds great. Just let me change."

The step-siblings walked into the mall and immediately saw two teens waving them over.

"Oh, that's them," Dawson said. "Hey, you guys. I have someone for you to meet. This is my stepsister Joey; Joey, this is my girlfriend Jen, and my best friend Pacey."

"It's nice to meet you guys," Joey told them.

Jen smiled and shook her hand but Pacey sat speechless as he looked at Joey. The beautiful, long brown hair and those brown eyes, that dazzling smile of hers. This girl was like a freaking goddess to him. He finally came back to reality and shook her hand.

"It's nice to meet you, too, Joey. Dawson's told us a lot about you," Pacey replied.

"Well, I'm starving. Pacey, why don't you and I go get pizza and drinks while the girls hold our table?" Dawson asked him.