▪︎ Chapter Two ▪︎

The morning sun shone through the thin curtains draped over Cora's bedroom window, casting a soft glow on her sprawled figure sleeping on the large bed. Her hair that swept across her face swayed softly, blown by her soft snores as her palm rested beside her pale face on the mattress.

She stirred when a shiver ran through her body, caused by the breeze that blew through the open window, rising goose bumps on her bare arms. She turned over to lay on her back while sighing softly as her green eyes fluttered open.

The room was silent, peaceful even.

The walls of her bedroom were a subtle off white colour and decorated by an array of sketches she had done over her eighteen years of life. The flooring, though older than she herself, was a smooth dark oak wood that completed the desired overall feel for her room. It was her private space.

So, with another content sigh, she sat upright while bringing her hands up to run along her face in a meek attempt to rid the sleep from her eyes. Then, she curled her fingers around the thin blanket and pulled it aside before shuffling off of the bed and slipping on her black shoes. She brushed down her cotton nightgown whilst intentionally ignoring her reflection in the mirror just opposite her bed.

She kept her head dipped down, focused on the floor as she walked calmly to her window to look out at their large garden.

In the near distance, the trees rustled while their fallen leaves floated through the air, swept up by the light wind. Birds chirped from the branches and nests they perched upon, brightening the otherwise quiet morning with their unique songs. Cora smiled at the view, pushing aside the net curtain to gain a clearer look at the beauty offered to her curious eyes.

Her head tilted however when she spotted Charlie in the garden below; digging holes and covering them with thick stone slabs. She inhaled sharply at the tight and somewhat dirt covered white shirt he wore, showing off his well toned physique. She watched his muscles contract beneath the fabric as he lifted a stone slab and placed it firmly in place upon the freshly dug soil, covering a shallow hole.

But then, as though he had sensed her eyes studying him while he worked, Charlie looked up, catching her eyes with his. He smiled to himself and crouched to run his slender fingers through the light soil without breaking eye contact.

"This garden really is beautiful." He spoke softly while dropping his head to look at the ground. "The soil, so soft, good for digging." He stood once more while turning to take yet another stone slab from the pile.

She watched him closely, studying the way his body moved as he continued to work in the sweltering heat before eventually shaking her head and releasing her gentle grip on the net curtain, allowing it to fall over the glass once more - covering it.

She stepped back and away from the window, exhaling deeply as she internally pleaded for these lust fuelled thoughts and feelings to leave her. It was wrong; he was her uncle, and she was his niece. Not by blood but by marriage. She had to get a grip of herself and stop allowing weakness to form within her towards the slightly older man.

Therefore, she moved towards her closet with a firm nod before pulling it open and running her fingertips along the different fabrics hung within until she found a dress she felt comfortable wearing for the nice weather.

She quickly brushed her teeth and changed while allowing herself a short second to admire it in the mirror before she turned and scooped up her beloved satchel. She wrapped it across her torso, resting the strap between her breasts like she usually did. Then, she opened her bedroom door and made her way to the kitchen, expecting to see her sister.

"Morning, India." she greeted warmly with a small smile, glancing to her as she sat in a wicker chair reading a morbid book Cora had already previously read.