Chapter Two

Driving the streets in the dark was always a thrill for me. It meant I had the roads mostly to myself and I could think without too many distractions. The first thing that came to mind was, why did all this come to me? Was I really this Dead King or was I just a place holder for the real one? Why was my body acting on its own without me willing it to? What will it mean if I.... Suddenly my headlight illuminated a dark shape standing in the road, causing me to throw on my breaks hard. As I looked up, sitting there unafraid was the black wolf of my dreams. Looking at it, my dream once more flashed through my mind. Suddenly it stood up and padded over to me like a dog would to its master. Once it was close to my bike it turned around and looked over its shoulder at me.

Thinking to myself how very weird today had been, I decided to call out, "Do you want me to follow you?" The wolf nodded and started to lope away into the night. "Well I guess it can't be that much weirder." I mused to myself as I throttled the gas and took off after it. Following the wolf, I thought I would have to slow down so I would not hit it. Boy was I ever wrong! We wove through the dark streets as if we were shadows ourselves and at such a pace that sometimes I thought I had lost him. Each time he would appear once more in my headlight. Suddenly we were on my street headed for my house in the darkness. The wolf ran through the yard and sat on the front step of my house, like he was waiting for me. Pulling in I put the kick stand down and killed the motor looking in the window, I could see mom in the kitchen. Taking off my helmet I rushed for the door hoping as I went that dad would be home as well.

As I got level with the wolf, he leaned to the side so that I could pass him. Bursting through the door I called "Mom! Dad! We need to go, something bad is happening in town!" As I got into the kitchen, I saw mom standing behind dad and Devlin sitting across from them looking tired, rumpled, and like he had rolled around in soot. I slid to a stop and looked at everyone before saying, "what's up why is Devlin here?"

"Hello Tomas, my boy it seems you've been warned of what's goin' on. I came here to tell everyone what was happening in hope that we could all leave." He said while pointing to my parents. "They said that until you and your sister got here, they weren't going to leave."

"Tomas where is Willow didn't you pick her up from dance school?" asked mom as her eyes started to tear up.

"She is safe with grandmam and Michael. He is taking them somewhere safe, and I came here to warn both of you and to help get stuff ready." I said while finally noticing the bags sitting behind my parents. "I see the packing is done I just have to go get one more thing and we can head off." As I turned to head down the hall my mother called out to me.

"Tomas where did ya get all that stuff you are wearing and what are ya goin after?" she asked as I kept walking down the hall.

"I'm getting the present Willow got me for my birthday, I promised her I'd get it." As I got to her room I dove under her bed and found the box laying there. Pulling it out I quickly unwrapped it and pulled the lid off the box. Laying inside was a brand-new Smith and Wesson Governor six shooter and lying next to it was a Sig p250 compact pistol. Both were black and shiny looking. On the left side of the handle of both guns was a pentacle in a circle and on the right were skulls. Both symbols were in silver and seemed to be deeply embedded in the grips. Placing them on my lap I pulled out two different kinds of holsters. One was an under-arm holster that seemed to fit the sig. The second was attached to a belt to go around my waist. Looking down into the box I saw two more cylinders one loaded with .410 2 1/2" shells the other with .45 colt shells. Checking the cylinder in the gun showed it loaded with .45ACP shells. Smiling I placed them in two of thirteen slots in the belt. looking once more in the box showed two clips one loaded with 9mm and the other .40S&W shells. I checked the clip in the Sig and found it loaded with .45ACP shells. Placing the spare clips in their sleeves in the holster, I was about to stand up when I saw another box under her bed. Pulling it out I felt kinda guilty to be snooping, but I opened it up and found a couple of knives, a candle, some matches, and a pack of cigarettes hidden under some pictures of the family. Stashing it all in various pockets of my jacket, I grabbed the belt and holster as I headed back into the kitchen.