Only The Good Die Young

I'm walking to lunch after a long, long math class. I'm eager to see my best friend and complain about how hard school is. When I reach my friends, I notice something is off. Something seems not right.

"Is someone missing?" I asked.

"Yeah. The tree has to be taken away. She's too old and dead for school," answered my friend Emily.

No. This can't be. My best friend can't be gone. But sure enough, there's a dead stump where she usually sits.

My inner monologue is going crazy. How can she be gone? What does this mean? They can't take her from me!!

"Where is she?" I worriedly ask.

"It's too late, Elysa. She's already been shredded to bits. She has a new purpose now," my friend Hayley replies.

"NOOOOO. SHES BEEN LIKE A SISTER TO ME!"

"Elysa-"

"All my life she's kept me safe and warm, she's shaded me, given me a place to sit and think. She helps me breathe easy. She's the greatest comfort I've ever known. "

"Umm I'm pretty sure she's done almost none of those things..." Ayla responds.

"WHY DO THE GOOD DIE YOUNG?" I fall to the ground, weeping.

"GODDAMMIT ELYSA, ITS JUST A FUCKING TREE!"

It's a tree. I know it's just a tree. But I can't help but wonder why she's been cut down; if even just one person actually cares about her existence, shouldn't that mean something?

Happy Earth Day.