Chapter 2

It was cold in Bjärstad. Minus 12°C. The snow was almost 20cm deep. The branches of the trees were frozen and the strong wind pressed against the windows of the houses.

It was slowly getting dark outside and it was even harder to see your hand in front of your face because it was snowing so heavily.

The winter holidays were over tomorrow. Christmas was some time ago, as were New Year's Eve and New Year's.

Simon sat on his bed next to Ayup, both with game consoles in their hands, wich they worked diligently on while Rosh watched a soccer game in TV. With every missed or scored goal she let out either a comment or a friend's shout. 

Ayup was temporaily distracted by this and lost focus on the PC game. He didn't even notice that Simon had defeated him. "Yes!" ceered Simon, his wide grin baring his teeth. "Oh, dude." Ayup mumered when he realized he had lost. Rosh looked at them and smiled too: "Won 5-3!"

Ayup lowered his game console onto his lap: "I was distracted!" he said, looking dissapointed at Rosh. 

"Did you actually get the curricula for next semester at Hillerska?" Rosh asked. Ayups gaze lingered on Simon, who nodded to Rosh's question. 

There was a short uncomfortable silence. 

She waited. She didn't want to stear up the drama about Wilhelm again. Ayup hesitated. He almost didn't dare to ask the question, but he did: "But Wilhelm will also be there. Do you really want to do this to yourself?" Simon bowed his head.

It wasn't too long ago that he was in Wilhelm's arms. On the last day of school before Christmas holidays. The soft "I love you" still rang in his ears. 

He had clawed into Wilhelm's coat when he hugged him and with every breath he took in Wilhelm's familiar scent. 

The look that Wilhelm gave him when he left was burned into his memory. Those sad eyes, those quivering lips. He would have loved to kiss him and say that he loved him too, but he couldn't. 

Wilhelm had decided on his family and took over Erik's legacy as heir to the throne.

Simon raised his head again: "I know, but I want to finish this year at least before I go back to school in Bjärstad." Ayup sighed: "But Simme, that's crazy." "No but!" Simon cut him off. 

Rosh, who had turned to the boys by now, exchanged looks with Ayup. She raised an eyebrow, signaling him to shut up. "It's ok. I have to go through it now." Simon answered.