Chapter 4: The Hotel Room

Saturday. September 30th, 2006.

~

"He was waiting for them when they got home."

Everyone knew as soon as Jennifer Jareau said those words, that this was going to be a rough case.

It had already been a difficult few months for the team, especially after the Randal Garner case. Hotch and Gideon, being wary of their unstable, female agent, had to tread carefully. Throughout the past few cases, she seemed fine. Just more "in her own head" than she used to be. But there was still the underlying concern.

The jet was quiet. The atmosphere was different than usual. It could've been due to the fact that these victims were still alive, and would have to carry the weight of what happened to them for a very long time. Or maybe because the M.O of their unsub was similar to the situation Elle had been in, which sparked worry in the team.

Morgan listened to music with his headphones, gazing out the window and pondering on his thoughts. Behind him was Reid, who was scanning the pages of the book he held in his hands, allowing himself to relax for the ride. Hotch was going through a couple of files on the case, as JJ made herself a cup of coffee, and Gideon carefully inspected a file of his own.

Then there was Elle. She had purposefully turned the up music in her headphones to a concerning volume. Mainly to drown out the sound of the jet's hum and her nagging thoughts, but also to ignore the world around her. Part of her wanted to stay back for this case, to let herself fall further into denial about what had happened to her. But, she knew she couldn't do that. Gideon and Hotch would figure out that she was still struggling, and decide that she couldn't do her job properly. No, she could push through. She had to. Elle wasn't about to let her mind destroy the one thing that made her feel connected to her deceased father.

Even though she was zoned out, and only able to hear the music, she'd noticed Reid, JJ, and Morgan gathering closer to the two team leaders. She just knew that they were discussing the case. She decided to stay where she was, stuck in the mesmerizing, yet somewhat worrying trance of thought. Time passed so quickly, and yet, so slowly. Her limbs started to feel numb ,and her ears began to tune out even the loud music.

A small tap on her shoulder immediately snapped her out of it, jolting back a bit and pulling her earbuds out. Reid stood next to her, stepping back and looking spooked himself.

"I'm sorry! Didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to ask if you'd like some coffee?"

"I don't really-.. well, actually, yeah. I'd like some."

"How would you like it made?" He asked, a small and friendly smile on his face.

"2 teaspoons of sugar."

"Okay!" He nodded and went over to make it, as Elle studied him for a moment.

It had been a while since she really took the time to analyze him. He was tall, about 6 feet in height. Slender and pale, his hair brushed back neatly and glasses resting on the bridge of his nose. She couldn't help but wonder what made him look so vampire-ish.. but then she remembered the times she'd come home, looking sickly and ghost-like. Elle just figured it came with the job. And he also didn't seem like the type who went out in the sun much. Despite that, he seemed to be in good spirits. Elle had spent a good amount of time with him during her past year of work, so she could tell when he was, and wasn't alright. He always had something to talk about, too. She enjoyed their conversations.

"Here you go. Be careful, it's hot." He smiled, offering her the cup.

"Thank you." She gave a firm nod, taking it into her hands. It was really warm against her skin, so she set it down in the chair's cup holder, and allowed it to cool off a bit.