Chapter Thirty Nine

24 years old

24 years old

Just like every year before, the glass of the windows rattled in their frames. I turned my attention to the black and silver thundering through the street. Fionna had said that she was expecting a lot of family, but this looked like a whole lot more then the dozen or so she told me about. One after another the bikes flew past and a few cars were mixed in.

"I've got six aunts and uncles on one side of my family," Jackson mused, "But that looks a lot bigger then even my big family."

"To be fair, her blood family is smaller."

"Then what's that?" The last of the parade vanished up the road and Jackson looked to me with curiosity.

"I have no idea," I admitted with a sigh, "But I'm pretty sure Fionna's not expecting this many people. Any minute now my phone will start blowing up with complaints and panic."

"You going to close down shop again to go and save the day?"

"Stop channeling Marshall. It's creepy."

"Seriously, man. Leaving early the other day stirred up some shit. I heard three different stories so far. A lot speculation about who Landon is to you. Wondering if there is something between you and Fionna again." He crossed his arms over his chest as he leaned against the counter. "There's even one about you becoming a prospect. You close the store again and I can't guarantee the rumors won't escalate."

"Escalate to what? Landon's my friend's son. I'm not joining the MC. I did help with some major repairs on Conway's farm. How much worse can it get?"

"I think that all depends on what you and Fionna decide to do. Have you guys talked about it at all?"

"Have you and Viola figured what the two of you are doing?"

"Unlike you, we have time to do that."

"And why don't I have time?"

"There's a kid involved." He waved a hand at me when my boyd tensed. "I don't mean it in a bad way. Fionna's going to put Landon first. We both know that. Which means that your relationship with his mother will determine the entire outcome of his future."

"She considered staying in Kingsville before, and it sounds like she's willing to follow through this time. Especially for Landon. She was looking into signing him up at the elementary school. Did you know Mrs. Garfield is still teaching?"

"She's enrolling Landon?"

"She wants to." The bell over the door chimed and I turned my attention to greet the customer. All pleasantries died on my tongue when I saw Kelly standing in the doorway. My gaze slid over to Jackson who looked as dumbfounded as I did.

"I'll, uh... I'm going to go and check... Something," he rambled as fled to the back of the store.

"I hope you don't mind," Kelly raised a drink carry with a paper bag nestled between the two cups, "I thought you might like some coffee."