04 | information overload, situation lost control

Part Three: Information Overload, Situation Lost Control

"You left your post?" Eli Moskowitz was furious. If Robby had stayed by the door, in his mind, the two boys never would have been caught.

Robby glared at the other boy. Even back in the days of the Valley's karate feud, Eli and Robby had never gotten along. "I had prior commitments that didn't involve committing a misdemeanor felony, thank you very much."

"Enough bickering." Lennon sighed, running her finger through her hair. "I remember the concert." She looked forlornly at Robby. "I think you kissed me during 'Paradise City'."

Robby closed his eyes, willing himself to remember the night before. One thing was for certain: when he got back to the fraternity, he was never drinking even half as much as what he did in Las Vegas, ever again.

If he focused hard enough, he could remember fragments of the night before. He remembered Miguel and Eli's crazy plan, and he remembered being asked to stand guard over the backstage door while they tried to free the ostrich. He didn't remember leaving, but he had a vague recollection of meeting Lennon Marks in the hotel lobby. She was wearing the same dress she was now.

Lennon remembered meeting Robby in the hotel lobby, and she remembered the chaos in the auditorium block as security guards and patrol officers prowled the main floor, the squawking and screaming from inside the theater where the circus was. She remembered Robby's warm hand in hers while they waited in line to be let into the arena for the concert, and she remembered being hefted onto his shoulders as the arena burst into the chorus of 'November Rain'.

"I think I know where my college money went." Eli said somberly, his mind flashing with images of roulette tables and gambling chips.

"Well, that's great, isn't it?" Vera encouraged. "What happened?"

"I was trying to gamble up enough money to pay Miguel's bail. He's in the county lockup after our stunt."

Seventeen and a Half Hours Earlier

Miguel.

Running was the only thing that Miguel could do. The large bird was loose on the casino floor, and over the tops of the patrons' heads, he could see the enraged bird ramming its beak into slot machines and startling waiters, who in turn dropped plates filled with glasses of expensive champagne.