JJ

All my friends besides Ki leave me to go find help. She's glued to my side, demanding that I can't be left alone and can't walk.

Whatever. I'm happy to stay right here in her arms, with my cheek pressed against her stomach. I'm beginning to learn that she's touchy when I'm hurt, and it makes me a tiny bit glad to have a head injury. 

Because that's not fucked up or anything.  

"Talk to me, Ki," I beg.

Her hands slide through my hair absently, and I hear my breath hitch. I cough to cover it up, because Ki doesn't need to know what I'm thinking right now.

She drags her fingers down the side of my face. "How do you feel?"

Amazing. On fire. "Fine."

She falls back into silence and I groan. "More, Ki."

Impatiently, she smacks my head. She barely touches me, but I immediately slump and pretend to be snoring.

"Not funny,."

"It's a little funny," I say against her. She's wearing her bathing suit, and her skin is warm on my face. Ki is warm.

"We need you, J." Her voice sounds thick, and I look up to see what's happened. Sure as shit, there are tears in her eyes.

"Don't cry."

"Shut up. I'm not."

A tear escapes the corner of her eye, and I lift my index finger to catch it. "You softie," I accuse.

She looks at me in exasperation, and I smile. She's cute when she's annoyed at me.

I realize that I'm staring at the same time I figure out that she is staring back. Rational thought leaves my head. Bye. Sayonara. Adios. My whole world is Ki's lips and the fact that she just licked them and bit the bottom one.

"Why are you so weird, JJ?" she whispers.

"Why are you so..." I don't finish the sentence. I can't. I put my hand on her cheek. "I'm going to kiss you now. Alright?"

Her mouth drops open slightly and I think I've rendered her speechless. I'm not moving an inch until she tells me to - not closer to her, not away from her. I stay frozen until her head nods slowly.

"Okay then," I say.

I pull her toward me slowly, giving her time to change her mind. She smells sweet. Like saltwater and frosting. I'm just about to kiss Ki when I hear him.

John. Fucking. Booker. Routledge.

Forget Ward. I'm going to strangle John B.

"Hey, we found something. Yo, why are you two so close?"

Ki yelps and jumps backwards. I flop back down into her lap.

He stops ahead of us, looking confused. "What's up?"

"I'm concussed," I shout, "You tell me!"

That springs him into action. "We found a way off. Turns out it's not so much an island as it is a shore. There's a town about a mile through the trees. I think we're in Puerto Rico."

"Well," Ki says as she slides her thighs out from under me, "Let's go."