𝙶𝚛𝚞𝚍𝚐𝚎

Trigger warning: Mentioning attempt of suicide

„Are you injured?"

„Not sure." Y/N sat up. She could not recognize most of the demon hunters around and darkness was not helping either.

„Where is Hikaru?" Tadame questioned.

„Um...I have no idea, last time I saw him, he was here, fighting. Then that cursed demon knocked me out. Did someone behead him while I was asleep? I mean, how else would I make it?" Y/N mumbled. There was no point in hiding what his power was now, since Tadame's crow already knew it.

„I left the bridge for a few minutes to get some food. I was delayed on my way, when I returned, my crow was there, she said Hikaru found and killed the demon we were looking for, however, he was informed about another one, so he continued searching. She said you and Hikaru stayed too long at the abandoned hospital and she heard fighting noises, so she came to make a report. I wanted to join immediately, but my crow said I was hungry and unprepared, so I would only get in a way. After eating, I headed for the nearest pharmacy, to make sure I could resist falling asleep. I prepared everything for the reinforcements as well, then I anxiously waited for their arrival and we all hurried over here." Tadame whispered „When we arrived, your crow said fight was over and demon already left this place. Your crow tried to get inside, but the opening was too narrow and when he flew through the broken window, he could not get past some empty room, because its door was closed. He flew back outside and tried to take a peek through the door, but it was too dark inside."

„Poor Shou. He must be anxious. I better go outside..."

„That demon was the only one who was seen leaving the building, so we assumed everyone else was dead, but here you are... was Hikaru eaten, I wonder? Or is here another exit somewhere?" One of the demon hunters looked around.

„I do not believe Hikaru would leave sleeping person alone with a demon... maybe he is asleep too, somewhere... We should check every room." Tadame argued.

„I found two swords."

„That is Hikaru's!"

„Other one is mine, kindly give it back..." Y/N said, hurriedly reaching out her hand. Least thing she wanted right now, was being unarmed in front of Tadame, when she would realize that Hikaru was no longer alive.

„Are these the remains of his uniform? I am so sorry..." One of the demon hunters, tall woman with a curly, brown hair, pointed at the bloodstained ground. Y/N quickly raised her head to see if there was a noticeable sword cut on Hikaru's uniform. Thankfully Enmu attentively got rid of the evidence in a short time.

„No... this is impossible!" Tadame's eyes widened in disbelief.

„Technically, dying of natural causes sounds more impossible for a demon hunter..." Y/N mumbled to herself.

„You killed him! I know, it is your fault!" Tadame shouted, grabbing Y/N's collar.

„I know... If only I were strong enough to protect him..."

„Nonsense!" Tadame sobbed, slapping her. Y/N has not tried to fight back, she only covered her face, knowing damn well that it served her right. „I know that you killed him, your reaction to my attack confirms it too, you lose your temper over pettiest inconvenience, yet you are so composed right now, it is because of guilt, is not it? I know you provoked him to enter this cursed building, you interrupted his safe hunting strategy! My crow told me everything!"

„I know that it is my fault, alright!" Y/N was slightly relieved Tadame had no idea about the worst part, at least for now, „Look, I know you are not going to forgive me anyway, I am not going to forgive myself either, but when that demon told us, there was stronger one, I did not believe it. I thought he left some traps behind and wanted to avenge his death by misleading us. I wanted to end mission already and make a report about possible traps in this area, just so wandering civilians would not get caught in them, but Hikaru would not listen to me, he had different plans. I was really pissed and when I saw him ruin the building for nothing, it irritated me even more. Yes, I insisted that we would explore the building, instead of damaging it, because I believed there was no other demon around and even though this building is abandoned, it is still somebody's property, we cannot just go and wreck every building in sight, just in case there is a demon, can we? I shall not deny that I am responsible for Hikaru's death. I am ready to face consequences of my action."