Visitor

I sit in my window sill, waiting for dad. It's been a long day and I could really use a good dream right now.

As if reading my thoughts, waves of gold begins to shimmer outside and a bright smile appears on my face.

"Right on time."

I open my window just as dad floats over to it.

"Hey, dad," I greet him.

He beams a bright smile at me.

He may not be able to talk, but he knows how to communicate.

A small ball of gold appears in his hand and a question mark appears above his head.

"Anything," I answer, getting down from my window and going over to my bed.

He follows me, floating on his little cloud of golden dust and ponders for a moment before I light bulb pops up over his head and a great big smile spreads on his face.

He holds the little ball to his chest before making it float over to me.

"Love you too, dad," I whisper before my eyes close and I drift off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pace back and forth looking at the damned globe, watching all the little lights flicker.

"I hate them all," I growl to myself, "all their hope and joy."

I miss when there was nothing but fear and darkness, when people coward at the very mention of my name. But now, I could stand before them, and they wouldn't even see me.

I turn and begin pacing again until I notice something; a light shining much brighter than the others.

It infuriates me.

I turn and fade into hw shadows, stepping out into a room of some sort.

A woman with golden hair lays in a large bed, her dream dancing above her head in that confounded gold sand.

I step closer, getting a closer look at her dream.

Ice-skating.

It seems like she's dreaming of a childhood memory, one when she was skating on a frozen pond. She does a jump, landing perfectly, beaming at something I can't see, before she slips and falls back. Instead of crying or getting mad, she laughs, laying back as she holds her stomach.

I look down at the woman, seeing a sleepy smile on her face.

"How can this be something that brings you more joy than anyone in the world?" I mutter looking back to the dream, "well that's enough of that."

I reach up and press my finger through the ice, and the sand begins to turn black.

"Much better," I grin, watching the ice crack as she falls through.

The woman shifts in her sleep, brow furrowed, for a moment before she relaxes again.

I look back at the dream in shock, seeing that it has changed.

She's now swimming, running her hand along the side of a dolphin.

"How?" I growl, touching one of the dolphins.

It changes to a shark and heads for her.

Again, the dream changes, and she's looking at a tank full of sharks in an aquarium.

"No," I'm growing more frustrated.

How is this not working?
How does it just keep changing?

I look back at the woman's sleeping face, still in disbelief.

Her smile has returned.

"How are you doing it?" I whisper, glaring at her.

I turn away with a huff and return to my home, annoyed with the results of my efforts.

"How is it even possible?" I mutter, staring at that stupid glowing light, "who are you?"

I turn away, and head for my chamber.

Laying down in bed, I can't get that woman out of my head.

"How the hell did she doe that?"

I stare at my ceiling for what seems like ages before falling into a silent slumber, not a dream in sight.