Leap of Faith: Part 3

A kiss? I'm still absorbing Faith's words when she runs off the cliff and swings through the air. She's suspended for a long moment, and then hits the water with a gentle splash.

There's a wild flutter inside me, like birds flapping around in my chest and belly.

She surfaces and wipes her hands across her eyes. She's wearing the same exhilarated, self-satisfied grin as everyone else who's jumped off this thing. It's a beautiful look on her.

"I'm holding you to your promise," I shout.

I grab the rope as it swings back to me, and grip it tightly, walking backward.

Is sex the world's best motivator? Because now, more than ever, I feel like I'm actually going to do it.

I'm doing it.

It's happening.

"Carpe diem," I whisper, and start running.

Every sensation is amplified as I run to the edge of the rock—the grit beneath my bare feet, the scratchy rope on my hands, the cool evening air biting my skin. My heart is going to pound out of my chest. There's a swoop inside me as I take off.

And then I'm airborne. I let out a whoop, and for a couple of seconds, I'm weightless. Faith cheers, her voice filling the still air. I think I can hear an eruption of cheers from the campground across the way.

I hold my breath as I hit the water, and my body kicks and flails automatically. I swim upwards, and my head breaks the surface.

"Yes!" I cry, wiping water from my eyes. "I can do anything!"

Faith laughs. I laugh with her, a celebration going on inside my chest.

I can't believe I finally did it. For a minute, I thought I would chicken out again and slump back to my friends in defeat.

Faith kicks backward, heading for the shore, holding my gaze. She's moving to the opposite side of the rock—where the campsites won't be able to see us, maybe?

I frog-kick after her, my heart now pounding for a totally different reason.

She sits at the edge of the lake, leaning against the shore, a smile on her lips.

I swim up to her, stopping at her knees. "How about that promise?"

It's probably the boldest thing ever to come out of my mouth, and I silently thank the rope swing for giving me the confidence to say it.

Faith leans forward, her elbows on her thighs, as smooth as hell. "I think you earned it."

I pull myself closer, rising from the water on my knees, and I'm right between her legs. With the rock jutting out between us and the campsites, the whole world is just us and the lake. Birds sing overhead, the trees stand absolutely still, and the smooth lake reflects the sky and shoreline like a mirror. The evening couldn't be more perfect.

I lean in until I'm close enough to see beads of water running down her face.

Her breath hitches.

I close the final distance and kiss her gently, and it's everything I've been aching for all weekend. She tastes like summer—warm, sweet, tropical. I place one hand on her thigh and the other on her cheek, and beneath the beads of cold lake water, her skin is hot.

Our lips move together, faster, the kiss deepening. God, I wanted this. A victory dance is happening somewhere in my midsection.

I smile into Faith's lips. "Thanks for coming out here to motivate me to jump," I murmur.

"Anytime."

She kisses me harder, sliding her hands around my waist to pull me close. I trace my palms up her soft thighs.

She leans back on her elbows, and I follow her, our bodies pressed together on the shoreline.

As the sun sets over the lake, it hits me what I've all done today—not just conquering the rope swing, but summoning the courage to kiss the most beautiful, captivating woman I've ever met. I can't help smiling as I rock against her, savoring this perfect moment.

Maybe I do have some bravery in me.

New story coming in a few days! Get early access (and read it all at once instead of in pieces) at patreon.com/tianawarner.