Chapter 1: Pit Stop

Neil walked into the coffee shop, looking around at the quaint decor.

Being on the run for years since his mother's death had brought him to this moment in his life, and hiding out in this building for a few hours was just another pit stop in his hectic life. After lunch, he would be on his way to a vacant apartment building in Florida to hide out for the next week.

"Are you going to order, or can I go?" came a bored voice.

Neil blushed in embarrassment, looking at the barista in front of him. "Yes, can I have a turkey sandwich and a cup of water?" he asked.

"Do you have any money on you?" The barista raised a brow at Neil's ragged appearance. Living without easy access to a shower had left his hair a tuffed mess, and his clothes worn well past the point of donating to the goodwill, even if he could afford to get new clothes. His white T shirt was yellow with sweat stains, though a recent dip in a park fountain had left him smelling decent at least.

"I DO have money, thank you very much," Neil gripped, watching as the barista type in the order on the computer.

"What is your name?"

"It's rude to ask that without giving your name first," Neil said defensively.

The barista raised a brow at him. "My name is Andrew. Now, should I leave your cup on the counter for anyone to grab, or should I name you myself?"

Neil blushed at his ridiculous comment. "Just put "N" on it."

Andrew smirked at that, marking the letter on a clear cup. He turned away to fill it with water, completing the task so quickly he practically spun in a circle to hand it back to Neil.

"Here's that precious drink, N. It'll be a few minutes for the food---Matt isn't as quick as I am."