Prologue

James Potter, as he was currently known, sat on his nice couch making puffs of colored smoke for his newest son. He'd had quite a few children in the past as Loki, but it had been a very long time. He'd missed babies. And now some wizarding psychopath was targeting this one. If not for the prophecy given about him before he was born, James/Loki could take him to another realm or dimension, but that prophecy tied him to this one until it was complete. If he could use his full godly powers, he could protect the child just fine in this world, but there were rules. Now, normally, the trickster god couldn't care less about rules, but given that breaking this one would see him separated from his son for who knew how long, he wasn't going to take that risk. Especially not with him so young and miss out on the best parts of his life. Not unless it was truly life or death for the babe. Little did he know that moment of decision was coming sooner than he could have dreamed.

Loki was delighting in the giggles of his son as he formed the colored smoke into fantastical shapes dancing around the boy when he heard the front door blow off it's hinges. There was no question who it was and when he got his hands on that rat he would destroy him. His wife ran out of the kitchen in alarm and he told her, "Take Harry and go. I'll hold him off." The safety of his son was the most important thing, but he was rather fond of his wife as well, so getting her safe was just a bonus. The vibrant redhead scooped up the boy and ran for the stairs at the same moment Loki ran for the door to intercept the maniac. Holding him off with the simple human magic would be easier said than done, but he just needed to buy enough time for them to escape. He couldn't be killed so he could meet up with them later.

Loki knew that his wife and son should have had time to take their emergency portkey out of there by the time he saw the green light coming for him and he knew he wouldn't have time to dodge. He hated that one. It always knocked him senseless for a few minutes. Had he known that his family hadn't gotten away, that Voldemort had put up anti-portkey wards, he would have tried harder to dodge though. He was laying on the floor dazed and presumed dead by the evil wizard who stepped over him headed for the stairs. The first indication he had that things hadn't gone according to plan was the screaming he heard from his wife. "Not Harry. Please. Take me instead." Loki knew it was futile. He was here because of a prophecy. A prophecy about their son. There was no way he would let him live. Loki knew that if the monster killed the babe it would be complete and anyone could then murder the bastard, but he didn't care. He would sacrifice the whole damn world for his son if it came to it.

It felt like forever before he could manage to move again, but then hearing the cries of one's family facing a murderer did tend to make the time drag. The second he was able he jumped to his feet and raced up the stairs, sparing a thought to leave a golem of himself behind. Screw staying here for all this. He may be locked to this world, but there was a big wide world where they could hide. Even better if they were thought dead. He burst into the nursery just in time to see the killing curse hit his son on the forehead as the baby clutched the stuffed dog that was to be their portkey out. He breathed a sigh of relief as the child glowed and absorbed the curse, glad that the protection ritual he'd put on the child at birth worked. The killing curse couldn't kill a god, but it could conceivably kill a half-god. Or at the very least cause severe lifelong damage. No one had ever tested it before. The fact that the rune of protection on his forehead burst open and bled was proof enough that he'd been protected from it.

Even as his relief was overtaking him, so too was a bone deep rage, helped along by the sight of his wife on the floor in front of their son's crib, clearly dead, but mostly at the sight of that awful curse hitting his son. Anyone who could target a baby like that, prophecy or not, didn't deserve to live. Not only that, but /Loki's/ baby. No one targeted Loki's family and lived, damn the rules. Loki pulled his full power forward and smote the dark lord, turning his body to ash. He'd only had time to notice the wraith escaping, but before he could act, he was pulled away to face his punishment.