< Science Lessons? >

"So whatcha painting today Painty?" Lightbulb annoyingly poked me in the back as a struggled to focus on this painting.
"Just a midnight sky, nothing more," I grumble, "and can you stop poking me? I'm trying to focus here."
Ya'see, it's hard to focus when you're constantly being interrupted by smaller beings unlike myself.
It's not like I have any other place to paint other then the spare storage room that I turned into my private place.
...that sadly only Lightbulb knows about.
So whenever she wants to annoy me she just comes here and boom.. here I am.
"Fine," She slowly said, moving away to look at the art supplies that was all over the shelves.
"You really need to clean all this, what even is this?" She said as she picked up a mechanic pencil sharpener, clearly not knowing what it is.

"That's a pencil sharpener, have you been living under a rock?" I say a bit harshly then I wanted to.
She smiled at me blindingly, ignoring my choice of tone.
"I mean.. it sounds fun," She rolled her eyes playfully and put it back, "do you have glue and glitter?"
"What? No, glitter isn't art" I groan, putting the last bit of detail into the moon.
"Whatever you say," Lightbulb giggled, waking over to me, "you're missing stars."
I clench my fists, "Yes I know that! I ordered some glow in the dark paint from TestTube about a week ago before starting this painting,"
I rub between my eyebrows, "She still hasn't given me what I ordered, I might as well go down to her nerd lab and go face to face with her instead."

Lightbulb looked at me from a side glance and smirked, "How is glow in the dark paint considered art but not glitter?"
She's starting to get on my nerves now, I clench my teeth; "It's adds to the perspective, makes it more realistic," I take a deep inhale, "unlike glitter, you're just sticking pieces of shiny plastic on paper."
Lightbulb went silent, thinking, "sure, fine, whatever. I'll ask someone else."
And with that, Lightbulb left the room.
I sighed, wiping the blue paint smudge off my face.
What do I do while I wait for this to dry...
I contemplated, finally coming up with something;
I'll go down to TestTube and get my paint and rage out!
I huffed, putting my art supplies back and washing my hands with the spare sink.
I left and locked the door behind me, putting the key back around my neck.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention I've been renting out the storage room with permission from OJ, unfortunately it doesn't lock from the inside.

I walked down the hall, opened the front door and walked outside, instantly being welcomed by the warm June air.
I closed the door behind me and walked off the dirt road.
Entering the tree line, I sighed, is this what I'm doing with the rest of my life now?
Just painting?
I rubbed my suddenly tired eyes.
Life's been so repetitive lately.
I stop, coming up to the vending machine, I instantly go the buttons and starts spamming them.
From what I've heard from YinYang, any button combination will do.
I heard a unnatural sound, and was suddenly swept off my feet and into a slide.
Falling right onto the floor on my back, I stumble up to my feet.
This place was so dull, but there was tech everywhere, and I mean everywhere!
I cross my arms, my eyes darting everywhere.
"Uh... TestTube?" I called out.
No response.

"Golly!" I heard TestTube shriek from down the hall, I slowly made my way from where I heard her panicking.
Turning a tight corner, I saw her using a fire extinguisher furiously, getting it all over the counter.
She turned it off and turned around, and shrieked again from seeing me.
"Paintbrush!" She took off her goggles, showing a clean patch around her eyes compared to the smoke around her face.
"Welcome! Uh... I wasn't expecting company. Hehe.." She said awkwardly.
"Uh-huh, what was that about?" I pointed to the mess off a science experiment behind her.
"Oh! Just some experiment on uh," she turned around and grabbed a small beaker with a small piece of metal inside it.
Uhm- okay?
"What," I say, unfazed, "It's just a piece of metal TestTube"
She scoffed, "It's not just a piece of metal! It's potassium!"
She grabbed my wrist and pulled me to a cleaner part of the counter.
She took the potassium out with tweezers and put it on a cutting board.
What the- I only wanted to get paint and now I'm being dragged into this?

She grabbed a knife, and I chuckled,
"You can't cut metal with metal."
She looked at me, and boom, instantly proving me wrong.
Alright, is she a witch!?
She just cut metal with metal.
"Actually!" She cleared her throat, "With a density less than that of water, potassium is the second least dense metal after lithium. It is a soft, low-melting solid that can easily be cut with a knife!"
She looked at me, proud of her knowledge.
I opened my mouth to say something but she silence me with her finger on my lips.
"And that's not all," She picked up half a piece of the potassium with tweezers and moved to a small test tube with water.
"Put those on." She passed me a pair of goggles, I was kinda scared now, was it gonna explode or something?
We put our goggles on and she placed the metal into the water, it took a minuet, but the metal floated to the surface and let out a small flame, sparked, and dissolved.
I scoffed.

"That's all? What about the large flame I witnessed ages ago." I say, taking my goggles off and throwing them on the side.
"We'll uh- I used a big piece of potassium and a larger area of water, but uh- it kinda exploded and the bucket disintegrated. Haha."
She scratched the back of her glass tube head.
"But what did you come here for? Other then my knowledge of course." She laughed, moving her goggles up to her forehead.
"Oh yeah, that. I was gonna ask about the glow in the dark paint for my painting?" I crossed my arms.
"Oh! Sorry about that, I probably got lost in one of my books again!" She cackled, "I have it here."
She opened a wall cabinet and pulled out a jar of white paint, "it's glow in the dark, you know how to use it." She rolled her eyes.

"Mhm, thanks." I nodded, took it from her and as I went to walk away, she tapped my shoulder.
"If you're interested.. uh," she stammered, "We can do science lessons if you want, i- it's okay if not but!"
She looked away, I looked at her over my shoulder, "It'd be nice to have some company."
I look down, thinking.
What'd she mean by 'Science lessons'? Like, back in school?
"Uh.. I'll think about it, okay?"
Think about it!? Why didn't I just say no!?
"Okay!" Her face brights up, "Take as long as you need." She smiled, "Cya Paintbrush!"
"Bye." I say blandly.

As I walk through the woods, jar in hand.
Science lessons?
What good will I do with science knowledge!?
I groan, why has this made the only thing my brain has thought about!?
Think about it... yeah!
I mean.. it's what future me has to worry about!
I'll just finish my painting and worry about it tomorrow.
I nod at myself, opening the hotel door and going back down to my storage room.
I close the door behind me.
I open the jar and take a paintbrush from the side.
But as much as a tried to focus, I couldn't.
Life's been on loop for ages.. maybe these science lessons will turn it off airplane mode?

------------------
Wowie! My first ship fanfic!
I've been looking forward to writing this for ages!
The time I wrote this chapter was when Recurring Dreams was being written.
Just wanted to add that in for extra points heheheha.
Anyway hope y'all enjoy this book as much as I will!

~ Caramel <3
( 1385 Words )
< 28 / 5 / 22 >