Writing a comic

So i've been wanting to create this comic for quite a while. Like a good year and a half has passed by and I still haven't entirely got the idea down so bare with me. Essentially a quick overview of this chapter is just explaining how I started and sort off where I am now in the process. Hopefully you find this helpful in some way shape or form but know that this is kind of informal in the way of it's just my experience and everyone does things, especially writing differently.

So, the base concept had been "I wanna create a trademark happy go lucky hero protagonist, but the twist is they are immediately broken down by the environment around them although they still wanna make a change but now they're overthinking all of their flaws on top of their growing trauma" which I'll admit is quite a lot and I knew that even when I first started out. Moving away from creating pure romance and comedic stories was gonna be a monumental switch and I was already feeling the pressure of this daunting task.

I had also really been set on the idea of creating a fantasy story because it had been a genre I hadn't really tried out and I had always wanted to because I love fantasy and I have consistently loved it as one of my top genres. 

So I set myself down and got to conceptualizing the idea of this character because that's what one does when you are nervous and terrible at getting down plot and focused story guidelines. I knew I wanted her to be a poc female queer protagonist more because I wanted to see more normalized representation in where she's just queer and poc and that's not the whole focus of the story she just gets to exist without controversy! (Also due to the fact that I myself identify as a queer poc afab person and just my existence is the subject of problematic encounters- )

 So when I plotted her down I wanted her to be this like badass brawler originally where she's just constantly looking a tad beat up but in a scrappy kid sort of way. And I gave her qualities that would help with the adventurer sort of lifestyle. She had short hair, a thicker build, and that's when I realized "oh snap I wanna add a sword to her character design" and when I really thought about it, I wanted her to be a swordswoman. 

Just this choice ultimately altered the original concept for my story. My ideas shifted to what I can best describe as the earlier look of the boiling isles from the owl house.

So I had immediately written down the new idea for the story. And a few name generators and baby name websites along with magic classifications and I had a nice foundation.

(warning a tad bit of plot)

The story focuses on our protagonist, Tore. She's born in Arslan, within a poverty stricken neighborhood known as "the grovel" under the watchful eye of the royal capital.  Her parents (names tbd) promise her to the Arslan royal guard to be trained as one of them to clear their debts and be paid handsomely. Now magic usually shows up immediately in babies so as to discover what their magic gift is. But Tore's never did. The Arslan guard wouldn't take a magicless child and left post haste leaving the family in the same ayate they were before. As Tore grew older her parents took out their rage and circumstantial pain on her, abusing her with their magic and forcing her to steal and fight there battles. She grew to despise anything to do with hurting others, and whenever she'd steal she'd go and find work to pay the victims back in full. She was a kind young women and always seemed to find the best in any situation no matter what. Then one day her parents took it too far. Her mother was a Ignis mage, and her father was a Mens mage. They got drunk, and when they came home Tore went through the worst pain imaginable. Inflicted with nightmarish images and burns, she didn't know what else to do but scream and thrash. Closing her eyes she focused her kind on one thing "escape". And when her eyes opened she had escaped, and her parents were dead, eyes blank and glassy. And her body was filled with scrapes And a huge gashes across her chest. So, scared and devastated she walked into the woods, and tripped knocking herself unconscious.

And that's majority of how Tores backstory starts. In the book she essentially divulges these bits of info throughout flashback sequences and the only part of this that's actually shown is when she goes into the woods and that's the start of the actual story.

And that's where I'm gonna end it! Thank you for reading essentially what is just me chronicalling my writing journey