Chapter 1 | PREVIEW

Rem stared at the tree in her backyard where her grandmother was buried

Rem stared at the tree in her backyard where her grandmother was buried. "What do you think gran would say about the rumors?"

Her mother braided her hair from behind, Rem recoiling when it was pulled too tightly. It was a tradition of theirs, even if Rem was in her early twenties.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, the Silvers. Humans like me," Rem said as if it were obvious. "Do you think gran would tell me to run for it? If the rumors are true..." Rem chewed her lip. "I can't sleep. The witches won't say anything, and everyone is treating me like I have the plague."

Silence filled the late summer morning as her mother finished the braid, sitting down next to Rem. She too stared at the gravestone underneath the oak tree. Rem looked the older version of herself over, taking in the laugh lines and crow's feet. The two looked enough alike to be considered siblings, especially with their slightly prominent nose and lips. Her mother somehow still looked to be in her thirties.

Her gran used to thank witch's magic for that.

What would her gran say about what happened to Rem, though-how Rem's hazel eyes were now blue and her chestnut hair a warm shade of silver?

It sounded like a mundane curse, except the reason behind such a phenomenon remained a complete mystery. Silvers-as the witches called them-appeared like persistent weeds only two months ago. The blathering words of gossipers spread quickly, claiming that shifter wolves wanted humans like Rem, even to the point of abducting them from their villages or towns.

The witches had yet to confirm or deny those rumors.

Each morning Rem checked her hair only to see it was still a bright, pale silver with no understanding as to what caused such a seemingly permanent change, or why the shifters might want her... If those rumors were even true.

And why were the witches not saying anything? They were usually so fond of touting their opinions.

Her mother, Darla, opened her mouth to speak, but paused and wiped her hazel eyes before sighing and looking up at the sky. "I don't know Rem. I don't enjoy thinking about it. No matter how I look at it... It's not good. Something has happened to you, and the silence of the witches is almost as deafening as them running their mouths. All I know is that your eyes and hair have changed, and the same thing has happened to other young women your age. And, well, it's not a rumor anymore, about the shifters coming for Silvers-"