Chapter 5 - Personal hot water bottle

The song is for a bit down don't play it yet

I unconsciously reach for the CD player as we move, Nathan and I always have music going in cars. I expect Noah to flick my hand away but I'm lucky, he's busy reversing down the driveway. I stifle a chuckle at why he's reversing, I guess he'd rather that than risking Harry's ire if he chucked a U-ey and drove over Harry's sparse dry grass.

Noah's head snaps around in surprise as music floods the car, I raise my eyebrow that the song is from a CD not the radio. "What band is this? I've never heard it before?"

He studies me for a moment, a small frown creasing his forehead. "The Maine," he says finally. "I picked up by chance when I went... uh... looking for another CD once."

He narrows those green eyes, as if waiting for me to tease him. Truth is, I'm not in that type of mood. My body is killing me.

I go to open my mouth to say, good band, but he throws a warm hand over my mouth. "Because I bought a CD and talk to you, doesn't mean I'm going to drive around singing the 'black man bit' to that get into my car song."

I laugh, the movement almost making me cringe. Lucky he removes his hand because I hate my mouth being covered because I like to breath through it. Not my nose. He would have been introduced to my teeth.

"I forgot about that," I grin.

He looks at me sideways. "I haven't, I nearly didn't talk to you in fear that that would be your first demand."

"Yeah, my first thought would have been. Shit he talks! I'm going to make him sing the black guy bit in a song. It's so going to happen now though," I poke him on his shoulder. His face clearly refutes my claim.

I shuffle getting comfy in the plush seat.

Before we turn on to the road, Noah stops again. "I was going to take you in to the city to have dinner before we... maybe go somewhere else, but Av?" He reaches for my chin. "Are you alright? You don't look very well. It's like you're you but ... muted or something."

I'm not totally okay but pain is something that will go away... although this is getting worse and worse and now that I'm sitting, the pain sometimes drives my teeth together. I'd love to crawl in the back and sleep it off. Daryl believes the consumption of water fixes all evil, I have been drinking like a fish but all I feel is a big swelling pain in my back and stomach. Noah will think I have a developed a chronic bladder problem by the end of the night.

I don't really want to go to the hospital or the doctors here because I've seen what happens. Dell likes watching those medical shows and it seems a better option to try and get through it yourself. Angus even shudders at the waiting rooms, Dad reckons that they would be the ripe place to slip a counter intelligence agent in from those scientific testing companies, to persuade the patients waiting there that they should go for this 'other treatment available'. It would be faster and they would take their chances with them I reckon (if there were such people of course). Honestly though, half of them look like they will die before the time the doctor sees them. If only Doctor Rick could fly down here.

As long as I'm eating, drinking and stuff all will be good. Plus I don't have time to be sick, I'm dead sure it's just the combination of my hellish periods and the bruising I sustained from the jail thingo. My periods, liking the be the most painful thing in my life, have probably amped it up to win this competition. Anyway, it's all stuff that will be over soon.

"Dinner in the city?" I say with a voice that doesn't hint of the feeling that sentence is doing to my insides. I can't think of anything worse at the moment. All those people. I'd rather ride back to the tent and have two minute noodles wiht Noah, horses and the stars.