Part 13

"What do you want?"

Billy smirked, eyes affixed on your lips. "A kiss."

"No."

"No?" he murmured, leaning in close, so close, that you could feel his breath reverberate on your face.

Your heart stopped. Or did it start beating thunderously in your chest? You didn't know. You couldn't think. Or breathe. The only thing you could focus on was Billy's eyes, your husband's beautiful, deep dark eyes that were piercing right through to your soul. The sheer adoration in his gaze achingly familiar, his entire self vibrating with intensity, teasing you with a lopsided smile, unleashing butterflies in your stomach. Your heart squeezed in your chest when his fingers brushed up your arms, playfully tip-tapping on your skin like you were an instrument, sliding up along your shoulders, your neck, until he cupped your face with both hands.

You swallowed an audible breath.

He drew closer, you swayed towards him, helpless to deny the feelings that tethered you to him. You ached for him, you missed him. It had been so long since you kissed your husband, your Billy, the way he'd kiss you like he was a man dying and you were his only salvation, when his hands would grip your hair and his beard would scratch your skin, teeth and tongue scraping you.

He dropped a tender kiss on the tip of your nose. Like he'd do every morning when you woke up next to him. Most nights the last sensation you felt was his lips on the crown of your head before falling asleep, feeling safe and loved like you never had before him. Moments in heaven that were forever etched in your brain.

Moments he no longer remembered.

Billy gone. Your life gone. The only happiness you've ever known shattered.

The sadness hit you like a tidal wave.

You tried to hold on to your composure, you tried not to let the anguish win – you were stronger than this. You had to be. You couldn't fall apart in front of him. You had your fucking pride – but you couldn't breathe. Too much, it was all too much, anxiety rushing through your blood. Oh god.

You struggled against the madness, against Billy, but he was stronger. Always stronger. Your other half. Maybe you would have been able to push him away if you were yourself but you could barely even breathe-

"Hey, look at me." His fingers clutched your face, gripping you tightly. "Look at me, please!" Desperate and panicked, he clung to you. "Babe, I need you to breathe with me. Okay? Please. You need to breathe." His hand moved to your chest, over your heart. "One." He took a deep breath in and exhaled. "Two." He repeated again. "Three."

The panic was overwhelming, swirling around you so that you couldn't see anything in the daze you were in. But then you heard Billy's voice calling out to you, guiding you out of confusion and somewhere safe, and you started mimicking him, the darkness in his eyes compelling you to obey his every word. "One." You breathed in and out. "Two." In and out. "Three."

He smiled reassuringly, combing his fingers through your hair. "You're doing so great, sweetheart. So amazing." He grazed your temple, murmuring encouraging words between leaving tender drops of kisses on your closed eyelids, the tip of your nose, your cheeks. "Just keep breathing for me, babe. Please. That's all you need to do. Listen to my voice and breathe with me."