Chapter Two: Redd

"And I'm stuck with a diaper?" Casey shrieks at James, waving his arms at his expanse of half-tan, half-pasty skin. I ignore him, and the rest of our friends, to swipe through the other two pop-up screens. One is, "Journal," and it has eleven notes: the definition of "Rogue," followed by the nine different stats. The other screen is, "Inventory," and aside from my clothing and knives, I also have an invitation. When I click on it, a scroll unrolls itself out of thin air a foot in front of my face.

"Hey, shut up and listen, we just got a letter," I call out.

"I wonder who it's from!" James and Casey singsong, immediately punched by Riley and Megan.

"To All Citizens of Primeval,

You are hereby courteously invited to the Grand Emperor's Four Summers Ball, held on the first dusk of August of this year. Please arrive at least two days prior to the first of August to be confirmed and titled for proper entry. Attire is formal. The Ball will be held in the Southern Imperial Palace. Attendance is required for nobles and Guilds.

By Instruction of Grand Emperor Charlize Dalen-Imperium."

"But... we're not citizens of Primeval." Kalan points out.

"Actually," We unanimously groan when James opens his fat mouth. "As a registered guild, we have automatic citizenship." Guild sounds like some sort of mercenary group, which I'm not mad about, but I'd like to know what he means by it—and where he got that information.

"Cool, but can we at least get moving? I'd like to put on real clothes as soon as possible." Casey keeps glancing at Kalan, who keeps her own eyes turned away from him. Huh. I would've thought she'd want to see more of his skin. I know Megan wouldn't stop looking at me if I was in that costume.

"Um, isn't August 1st in three days?" I have no idea if Riley's right.

"Well, we're fucked." Megan snorts, and I nod along to her sentiment, trying to act as if I too know the date. I take a step closer to grab Megan's hand. She flinches, then looks up at me with a soft smile as she laces our fingers together.

From the woods, I hear hoofbeats. They thrum closer and closer, drawing my attention away from the chatter of my friends. I close my eyes, trying to make out how far away they are.

"...okay? Redd?" Megan tugs on my hand, drawing me back to her and our friends. She stares up at me with her pretty hazel eyes. They look greener with her Ranger costume.

"A group on horseback is coming from the forest." I look over her head at the tree line, at the nearing hoofbeats.

"How the fuck do you know that?" Casey snorts.

"Do we... should we get ready to fight?" Kalan finally breaks her silence, reaching for her sword.

"No." Everyone looks over at James, who tucks the map into a seemingly invisible pocket in his yellow sweatshirt-dress. He uses his wooden staff as a walking stick, moving around the stone table towards the forest. "They come from the direction of the nearby Southern Imperial Palace." He makes it a few yards away from us before he looks back, annoyed. "Well? Are you coming or not?" He stamps his staff into the ground, as if pouting, which spurs Megan into motion. She tugs me forward, and despite not being able to see her face, I can tell she's rolling her eyes.

We make it halfway down the hill when the group of six riders emerge from the forest. Six white horses, and six riders in silver head-to-toe armor. "Ho, there!" The first rider stops before us, the others a few steps behind. I can't tell by their figures—or the first's voice—any of their genders, though I suppose it doesn't matter. "Legend Incarnate Lorraine, I am Lieutenant Falomir, Imperial Rider of his Righteousness the Grand Emperor. We have come to escort you and your guild to the Southern Imperial Palace for the Four Summers Ball." they completely ignore James, who is at the forefront, in favor of Casey, who is desperately trying to hide his barren pasty skin at the back of our pack.