Chapter 15

The following Saturday couldn't have gone any better. We'd swung into Kaia's place, letting her get a shower and pack a bag for her and Kassidy before going back to my mom's house with my two girls. We'd all enjoyed a dinner of the wahoo fillets that I'd defrosted, and everyone enjoyed the sight of Connor and Kassidy giggling and feeding each other green beans while squealing whenever they missed their mouths. They were adorable, and it was so nice sitting there at the table hand in hand with the woman I had fallen in love with.

My mother couldn't stop gushing over both Kassidy and Kaia, and almost begged them to stay the night, not realizing that was already the plan. She may have even whispered a few things about how much she'd love a little granddaughter. Very subtle mom. But she was right, Kassidy was a beautiful little girl and I hoped that some day Kaia would want to let me raise her as my own. Of course, maybe we could add a few more new ones too, we were both still young.

I found myself on the couch, my arm around Kaia as she snuggled into my side while Kassidy and Connor were curled up on top of us, both kids having fallen asleep while we all watched Toy Story together. Did my mother sneak in and take a few pictures while we were all in a pile together? Of course, she did. I think she wanted this little group to become one family as much as I did. She may have wanted me to marry Kate all those years ago, but she knew things weren't going well the last few years and felt guilty over pushing for it. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been able to hold someone, and I missed that sense of intimacy very much. I would be happy to snuggle with Kaia all day and night if I could!

"My mom is a fan. She might try to steal you from me!" I whispered to Kaia.

"You're safe. I plan on being yours for as long as you'll have me," she said quietly into my ear.

I turned my head to look down at her. "Are you sure? Because that is all I've been thinking about lately."

"Come on, let's get these little guys tucked in. Then you and I can have a little talk, ok?"

"Okay, good plan." We bundled up each of our little ones, and then brought them up to Connors' room. He had a twin sized bed with rails and there was a little night light in there as well so they would be comfy. We got them settled down, and watched them quickly snuggle together, and then I brought Kaia into my room. It wasn't much, it was my old room from high school after all, but there was a queen sized bed that would do the trick. Not that we'd do anything more than sleep, I was in no rush to scare her off!

She changed into sleepwear in the bathroom, while I just stripped down to my boxers and slipped under the covers. She came out a little later in a cute lavender cami top and matching sleep shorts that almost had me whimpering. She saw me staring and gave me a little twirl as she walked over to the bed.

"Does it meet with your approval?"

"You could wear a hazmat suit and look stunning. That little outfit you're wearing now should be illegal!" I complained.

She crawled into bed and wasted no time at all in moving into my arms, sighing happily as I wrapped my arms around her. "How are you not a football or basketball player? You're gigantic!"

I chuckled lightly. "I played high school and college ball. I was a linebacker at Georgia Tech. Got a full ride there which helped get the degree I wanted."

"But you didn't go pro?" she wondered.

"Nope. I got injured as a senior. Got hit in the knee, tore my PCL and damaged the artery. If they hadn't caught it in time, I might have lost my lower leg." I lowered the sheets and showed her the scar on my leg.