Nightshadow slay

It was very cold, though that wasn't unusual.

This isn't right.

The first thing that popped into my head. This isn't right. The bed was different. The sheets―heavier. The light―dimmer. The sounds―quieter. Much quieter ...

Too much quieter. Where am I?

I slowly opened my eyes. I wasn't on my own bed.

"Nightshadow? Nightshadow, are you okay?"

I recognize that voice ... Why?

"Oh, Nightshadow, that was quite the fall ... I'd seen a future where this happened, but I didn't want it to be true ..." Something else I couldn't hear, something about a legacy of Clearsight. "If only she were here now."

Who is that? And what is a Clearsight?

Why did I recognize that name?

I turned my head―with much difficulty―to see a small black dragonet with silver scales all around her head and on the undersides of her wings. "Are you okay?" She asked. A beat of silence, then, "Oh, you don't recognize me, do you? I'm Eclipse-Eyes, your sister. Do you remember that name?" I thought for a moment, then shook my head mournfully. "Ah, well, that's a shame. Can you speak, Nightshadow?" She asked.

... No, I concluded. Why not? Have I always been silent? I wonder what life is like...

"Aphasia, and some memory loss," she mumbled. "Well, a spell should be able to fix that up." She smiled and reached behind her, then pulling a gem necklace off the desk to her left. She waved her hand over it for a few seconds and reached to put it around my neck, but I stopped her.

I kinda like being silent, I thought. I hope she can read minds too, though.

"Oh, okay," Eclipse-Eyes said, "Alright! I have a mind reader friend who can help!" She smiled and helped me off the bed. "When shall we start with the recollection exercises?"