chapter 36 is halfway done

Chapter 36: Only One Can Remain.

"Welcome to Chen's Island," Clouse declared, gesturing to the monumental temple before them. "The Tournament of Elements welcomes its brave fighters." Some boat workers grabbed a plank and lowered it to the dock, creating a bridge for them to step on. "Master Chen will be pleased you've returned... Sensei Garmadon." He sneered, turning his back on the boat and Garmadon.

"The pleasure is all mine, Clouse," Garmadon said calmly. 

"I'm sure it is." Clouse brushed him aside and continued walking, leading the masters to the temple. 

"Definitely feeling some tension between you two. And how is it we're on an island I've never seen on any map?" Jay asked.

"And care to explain how the face of Ninjago's most popular noodle house is secretly hosting an underground fighting tournament?!" Cole said, crossing his arms.

"Master Chen used to be a friend, now he's a traitor," Garmadon said. "During the Serpentine Wars, Chen turned against his kind and sided with the snakes, creating a rift in the balance of the long war."

"The battle you and Uncle Wu fought together in-he was an enemy?" Lloyd interrupted.

"He used deception to divide the Elemental Masters. We barely ended the war with little bloodshed. And in a deal for his surrender, Chen was never to leave this island. Little did we know, he'd begin to build his criminal empire from here."

"Master Chen may have divided the past Elemental Masters, but he's not gonna divide us. We're stronger than that, and we've got both sides on our team this time." Lloyd said, gesturing to the Ninja. 

Just then, Kai turned around to find the mysterious girl in the orange hoodie again. He pushed the Ninja aside to let her pass, grinning at her as she did. She seemed ungrateful and uninterested. Lloyd sighed exasperatedly.

"Fire will melt her icy heart, just you wait." He said, eyeing her as she walked towards the temple without regard for the Fire Ninja's kindness. 

"Remember guys, this is a big island," Cole said as the five walked up the stairs to the temple. "Zane could be anywhere – keep an eye out."

The vast doors before them swung open loudly, revealing a long line of men wearing hoods, chanting and banging drums in a hypnotic rhythm. The low booms shook the ninja to their cores; they could feel the echoes in their chests. It wasn’t loud – just powerful, like rain drumming on the roof of a house. They took turns marvelling in awe as they walked with Clouse leading the group to the temple.

"Hah! So this is the house that Noodles built! Always wanted to go to a red-carpet event." Jay said, sauntering.

"Chen lives like a king," Garmadon said. "Here, he's totally self-sufficient. The only way on or off this island is with his permission, which you have to earn."

"You never told me about this place," Lloyd said. "How do you know so much about Chen and this island?"

"Because before he was my enemy..." Garmadon stopped walking and opened the back of his gi to reveal a long, spiralling purple snake tattooed on his shoulder blade. "He was my Sensei."

***

In the massive banquet hall of the temple, Garmadon and all the elemental masters sat in a half-circle on the carpet.

"You never told me you had a Sensei," Lloyd said. 

"When I was your age, I... Sought a darker means of guidance. He taught me to win at all costs, no matter who I hurt. It was only when you saved me that I saw the light." Garmadon placed his hand on Lloyd's shoulder and smiled.