Truth Bombs

The Senators' Lounge was a bustle of chatter and activity during afternoons, especially the hour before plenary. Senators from different blocs congregate together in their own little bubbles discussing various things under the sun over a wide array of snacks to keep them fed during a long day.

Coming from another hearing, Risa strolled to the lounge towards Chel, Kiko, and Leila's little huddle at the corner. A year into the 20th Congress, she still couldn't believe that so many people she considered her allies made it to the Upper Chamber, and she intended to spend as much time with them as she could as if to make up for the lost time.

In the middle of Kiko's ramble about the pechay he just harvested in his far, however, Risa spotted a lone female figure sitting alone on the other side of the lounge. Some senators just wanted to be alone, so this wasn't usually much of a concern for her, but seeing who it was made her raise an eyebrow.

Upon getting a clearer look of who that senator was, Risa excused herself from the huddle. "Sorry, di ako magtatagal. Have to talk to someone first."

She then approached the other corner of the lounge to find Loren sitting alone with just a cup of coffee and a barely touched plate of food to keep her company. "Ate Lo, what are you doing by yourself? This is the second day in a row that I didn't hear your voice in the lounge."

Loren propped her feed up on the table and reclined on the plush couch. "Di ko feel makipag-usap with anyone."

Risa scooted her way beside her and sat on the same couch. "Loren, this isn't you - tell me what's wrong."

The other lady senator just sipped from her coffee cup and sighed.

"...do you want to go somewhere more private?", Risa offered. "Like the garden, for example?"

Both of them rose up and with Risa's arm wrapped around Loren, headed for the small garden right outside the plenary hall.

The moment they reached the garden, Loren started talking again until they reached a tree stump. "This was my happy place back when my office was on the second floor. For a variety of reasons."

After being cooped up indoors for far too long, Risa's inclined to agree. "Matanong lang, Ate, but what do you mean by 'a variety of reasons'?"

"Oh, I mean it's a source of fresh air, malapit sa kalikasan...", Loren rambled.

Risa raised an eyebrow. "Yung totoo?"

"That's a state secret."

"May security clearance ako."

Loren smiled. "Okay, dahil malakas ka sa akin, I'll share - this was where Pia and I used to hang out pag suspended ang session, pag break during budget season, or any spare time we could find."

Risa stared at Loren as if expecting more. "And?"

"This very spot we're sitting now was where we first kissed."

Upon hearing this, Risa's eyes widened and almost failed to contain a squeal. "Oh my God! So this has been going on for longer than I thought it was."

Loren stared at the sky and calculated dates in her head. "We first met in 2007, became friends in 2009, then by 2010...things happened."

The two of them just sat in silence and stared wistfully in the distance until Loren continued talking. "I guess this particular Congress made me learn that I don't really have anyone to lean on here. Sure, kasama ko sa kulitan sina Migz, but when I needed support the most, I have no one."

"Guess that's why you just kind of just hang on to whoever's the big guy in the room, was it? Then run away when things get tough?"

Loren stared at Risa as if trying to find the right words but failing to find them. "There are other options?"

"Again, only if you're willing to explore them.", Risa concluded. "I've seen you wax poetic over the years about the things you care about so much, but if you just run away during tough times, it will bite you back in the end."

After what felt like an eternity of silence, Loren suddenly bolted and headed for the entrance. "This is too much for me. I have to go."

Risa craned her neck as she watch Loren walk right back inside, then shook her head. "I did what I could, but it looks like she will have to learn things the hard way."

A/N: Here's a oneshot about the kiss Loren was talking about in this chapter (written in Pia's POV): https://privatter.net/p/8880973