Nobody Praying for Me

I'm a whisper lost upon the wind
I'm the ember that'll burn you

Miguel held the gun shakily towards a fallen Jade who only stared back at the teen with concern. He trembled as he glanced at the eldest two in the room and couldn't decipher what they were thinking. This is what they had wanted, right?!

"Will someone tell me what in the fuck is going on?!" Jade snapped out glancing over at her cousins. She gestured to the trembling teen. "What did you do to him?!"

"The truth." Rico responded coldly. He walked over to a fallen chair and picked it up. He carefully set it up right and sat down with his cigarette still lit. The cream of the old chair sounded deathly. "This mission is for three only. He has to make it three."

Jade's heart stopped for a few seconds and snapped back to the beaten teen. "Not cool, asshole. He's scared!"

"N-no! No!" Miguel shut his eyes tightly in anger. "I'm tired of people saying I'm afraid! I'm sick of everyone doing what's best for me. I can take care of myself!"

"Oh can you?" Jade snorted and pushed herself up. There was no way Miguel would shoot anyone much less her. She pretended to dust off her outfit.

"S-stop! Stay still!" Miguel hardened his voice eyes opened at the noise. "Don't move!"

The punk raised an eyebrow at Miguel from across the room. "Or what?"

"I'll shoot!"

"Do it."

Miguel dropped the gun lightly in shock but quickly put it back up as Jade took a step towards him. The beaten teen took a breath and aimed the gun to the left of Jade's head and fired.

Diego took in a sharp breath at the gun shot. He hadn't expected the gun to go off and as he went to go stop escalation, Rico stopped him. The eldest shook his head and Diego listened reluctantly.

Green eyes flinched at the noise but kept moving forward until the gun rested at her chest. Jade forced eye contact with a distraught Miguel - she'd check for a concussion later - and sighed. His eyes reminded her of Eli's at the tattoo parlor all that time ago.

"Do it." A whisper in the dark motel room that sent tendrils of shock throughout Miguel's body. He lowered the pistol but Jade grabbed his hands. "Aim, breath, squeeze."

"J-jade, I-I can't..."

"There can only be three right?" Jade shrugged. She did a great job at hiding the panic in her chest. She should be an actress. "I'm tired Miggy. Very tired."

Miguel stared at his friend and felt like breaking down right there. He'd been beaten before - more than most could probably say - but knowing that the fists flying at him were more than just a high school feud made him properly fearful.

The taunts and ridicule that followed and forced him to fight back threw him in a wounded state of mind. He needed to see his father. He was here for his father. His father sent him a letter. Here is the letter. Nothing else.

"This beatin' was only the beginnin', Diaz." Rico whispered into his right ear, hand knitted in the teens hair to force him on the carpet. "Only three can be apart of this mission. If you wanna see the man who thought you too ugly to be apart of... then you gotta choose who stays."