Fell on Black Days

Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile
Sunspots have faded, now I'm doing time

"So, what happens now?"

"Well, the drive to Mexico City is a long one."

There was silence in the car for a while, neither teen feeling completely okay or content.

"We'll be dropping off the car in Arizona." Jade finally informed Miguel with a sigh. She was really hoping the teen would back out and she wouldn't have to worry about him any longer. "From there, we'll take a few planned bus routes to get there. Do you have your passport?"

Miguel dug through his bag to find the small book and showed it to Jade who nodded. The drive was silent for a while longer the only noise coming from the old car and the screaming music from a cassette.

Jade forced everything from the day prior from her head and decided to only thing about the present. She had a job to do and the past was no longer going to help her. The boy furrowed his eyebrows at the turn the punk made.

"Where are we going?"

"San Diego."

"I thought we were going to Arizona?"

The punk only hummed in response and Miguel sighed, decided to a take a nap. The night before had been stressful and they had been on the road all night. Miguel was unable to sleep from all of the adrenaline but now he could feel the toll on his body. Emotional, physical, mental...

Miguel was awaked sharply by a McDonald's bag thrown at his face. He blinked around rapidly trying to find the danger, but only found a smirking Jade at his window with a drink. She pushed the drink through the window and the teen took it.

"Breakfast."

The drive was mind numbing for Miguel. Jade had refused to move forward unless the kid handed over his phone which was promptly turned off and stuffed into her pocket.

"Where are we?"

"Outside of Baja California, calaca. Middle of nowhere."

Miguel quickly shit up and looked outside of the car. Indeed they were in the middle of nowhere and when he stirred his drink there was no ice in it. His food was even lukewarm.

Jade snorted and opened the passenger side door. The punk grabbed the boy by the back of his shirt, dragged him out of the car and forced him onto the side of it. Her knife backed her up as it menacingly went to the front of Miguel's neck.

"W-what the fuck, Jade?!" Miguel's eyes were wide with fear as he genuinely thought that Jade was about to kill him. "I-I wasn't really going to tell anyone, I promise!"

"Oh, I know, Miggy." Jade teased. The punk's face turned serious as she stared up at the teen with steeled eyes and a harrowed expression. Miguel swallowed thickly. "But you and I are about to cross into the grey. There is no more good or bad, Miguel. You do what's best for you, understand?" When Miguel just continued to stare with wide eyes, Jade shook the boy a little. "Oi, don't make me repeat myself, calaca! This ain't high school, this is real. We get into a round up, you see me struggling and you find a chance to run, you run, got it?!"

"B-but, that's not right." Miguel stuttered out. "We might be rivals in karate, but-"

"You cannot trust me, Miguel. You will not trust anyone unless they your mama." Jade growled when the boy refused to answer her and only looked at her with confusion and a little fear. "I will leave you here. I will not take you any further unless you agree with everything I say."

Miguel went quiet and thought about his choices. His heart was pounding in his chest a sympathy of panic and frustration. He felt underestimated and misunderstood, so he quickly tried to disarm the punk to show that he was stronger. He won first place last year at the All Valley Tournmanent after less than a year of training!

But Jade wasn't having any of that.

The punk took Miguel by the surprise when she evaded and put him on the floor, hand behind his back being pinned by a knee, and a hand in his hair.

"You may be strong, but I'm dirtier." Jade hiss into Miguel's ear. "I've been doing shit all my life, don't fucking test me. Now, if you want to step a foot into this car, tell me that you agree. Right now."

"Fine, fine!" Miguel cried out, properly frustrated and uncomfortable, The punk threw herself off the teen and Miguel pushed himself up. "I'll listen, I'll leave you, fine!"

Jade nodded. "Good." The girl went over to the trunk and opened it up. "Now come here and help me switch out the license plates."

Miguel was already starting to feel dirty and that wasn't just because he hadn't taken a shower. When Jade had said they would be going to Arizona, the girl had lied. Instead, the teens went through the boarder with Jade showing a Mexican passport that he knew was fake. As soon as they entered Tijuana, Miguel took in the difference of the country.

"Do you know where your dad even is?" Jade asked after hours of silence.

"Yes." Miguel responded quietly, looking out the window at iron barred gates and colorful buildings. "My mom tried to hide them from, but I saw the letters."

"That'll make it easier." Jade sighed, wondering what she was going to tell her two cousins when she arrived. There was no communication, Jade having thrown both phones in the ocean a while back. "Look, while we're here, you speak Spanish, got it? When we are not in this current car you are not to let anyone know you are from the states."

And Miguel agreed having learned that the girl's bark and bite were equal in power.

"So...." Miguel trailed off, glancing from the girl to the window. "Are you and, uh, Eli together?"

Jade was quiet, drumming on the steering wheel to figure out how to answer the question. She wasn't quite sure what they were anymore with her having left so suddenly and now unable to communicate. "I have no fucking clue."

"You know, I think he really likes you. Back when he changed all he could talk about was you." Miguel didn't know that every word that fell from his mouth as like an arrow to her chest, the thought of Eli making her feel queazy. "But no one really knows what's going on between you.

"Tell you the truth, I don't think we even know." Jade whispered with a tired sigh. They had another few hours before she could stop and the topic on hand was already tiring enough. "I can't tell if we like each other, the idea of each other, or just hurting each other."

"So there is something still going on!" Miguel exclaimed, whipping his head over to the girl with excitement at the gossip. Jade groaned as she realized the can she had just opened and tried to change the subject. "No, no, no. I need answers."

"You need a Xanax..." Jade grumbled while merging into the next lane, cutting some guy off and returning the finger with her own. She added a sneer as a bonus.

And the teen boy just continued with his questions and theories, successfully making the air a little lighter and perhaps brighter. Jade made an outward appearance of being annoyed and frustrated, but Miguel could tell she was happier with the lighter topic. 

If she wasn't okay with it, she would have shot it down by now, ignored him, or literally anything other than answer. 

Thank God,

......

A/N:

5 May 2022

I've got a plot drawn out, let's see how close I am to Cobra Kai. 

Spoiler: I probably won't be lol.

This story will be way darker than the series and feature some possible real world scarifies and repercussions. Put hey, look. Jade and Miguel finally interact. She's had a relationship with everyone except for Miguel, so I guess it's time to fix it.

Write your predictions here.

Much love,

Maria