Chapter 2: Bad Guys Do Good Things Sometimes

"...Tattoos on both my sleeves

Yeah, I don't sleep, please don't wake me

Loosen my tie up so I can breathe

It ain't political..."

// Bad Guy //

// Billie Eilish ft Justin Bieber //

// Grant //

"What the fuck were you thinking?"

I glare at part of my old team as Fitz fills me in on the fact that Jemma fucking Simmons has been missing for three months and they're just now trying to get help outside of the clusterfuck that's left of S.H.I.E.L.D. I shake my head at their arrogance and stupidity. I may have betrayed the team, but I have resources that they don't have, and Coulson knows this. He should've known not to let her near any of that alien shit. It always ends badly. Now, because of that epic lapse in judgment, Jemma is stranded on some alien planet by herself. I know I hurt the team. Maybe I never truly cared about anyone except Jemma Simmons and my little brother, but after everything was said and done they should have known that I would move fucking heaven and earth to keep her safe. When I was under the influence of the Berserker staff, she is the only one I tried not to hurt. She's the only genuinely good person I know, but she isn't self-righteous and judgmental; she's compassionate and kind. I was obsessed with Skye, I won't deny that, but Jemma was the only person I was careful not to hurt. So yeah, I'm pissed. I clench my jaw as I register some bullshit about being the last resort, and if I try anything, he'll kill me himself. I roll my eyes at that statement, then stand up to my full height, towering over everyone. I use my size and the murder in my eyes to drive home the seriousness and level of how utterly fucked they are if Jemma dies because of their greed and stupidity.

"You let my scientist mess around with shit none of us understand, and you lost her on another planet. And you have the balls to threaten me? If anything happens to her, you're all dead."

Skye sputters and starts to yell at me before Coulson stops her.

"We're need him, Skye."

I roll my eyes and finish my scotch, mentally making a plan as my eyes scan over the bar I own, Garrett's Pub, one of my more legal operations.

An hour later, I've assembled six teams of four highly-trained specialists and an additional team of scientists in Jemma's lab. My scientists are working with Fitz on research and experimentation with the monolith while I lay out a plan and several contingencies with my men. Agent May silently approaches from behind, listening in, waiting for her chance to threaten me violently, no doubt. After my men have been briefed, I dismiss them before turning around to face May with a smirk.

"Can I help you with something?"

May stares at me with an indecipherable expression that borders on kind.

"You love her don't you? In your own fucked up way."

I blink and raise an eyebrow at the unexpected remark. What the hell is happening right now?

"Simmons."

My mask of calm arrogance drops for a second in surprise.

"Wha- I don't... I care about her, but that doesn't mean..."

May gives me that look that makes me feel like a cadet that can't figure out which end of the gun fires bullets.

"You were calculating with Skye; you always did what was best for you, for your cover, even if it meant putting her in danger. You're different with Simmons. You've always been different with her."

I breathe out a sigh, part weariness, and part anger.

"As much as I'd love to spend hours braiding each other's hair and talking about how I feel about Simmons, I have to find her first. Which wouldn't even be necessary if your boss hadn't lost her on another fucking planet."

May searches my expression before making the wise decision to let me stew and plan by myself. After I'm sure she's gone, I call Markham to inform him of a plan that Coulson would surely put a bullet between my eyes for.

"Markham, after we rescue the package, we'll need an exit plan."

My best friend and second in command pauses in confusion.

"Boss? Aren't we working with S.H.I.E.L.D. until the brainiac is found?"

I chuckle darkly in response.

"They lost her once. Next time I may not be able to save her. I'm keeping her this time like I always should have."