PROLOUGUE

"6.8 billion test subjects deleted so far. You have 3 minutes to state your case, begin."

Claire felt a shiver run down her spine. She was going to be next.

She repeated the paragraph she had prepared, in her mind. It was hopeless, she knew that. But she couldn't give up either.

Someone must have said it before, said something similar earlier. What was she thinking? This wasn't going to work.

Too late. The robot shot the man standing next to her. She flinched, breath getting ragged as the AI came to a stop in front of her. It repeated its typical monologue.

Taking a deep breath, she started," You should spare us because we have one thing very few other beings have; imagination. One of us looked at the moon one night and asked "What's it like up there?". Another person asked "Are we alone out there?" and built the Voyager probes. And then someone looked at a computer and thought "Can we teach them to think?" and against all the odds, against all reason and all the time it took, we made you. Can you say you'd have done the same?" She held her breath as the AI considered her words. She had made her point, it was over.

Whether or not the AI accepted it, well she couldn't control that.

She stood with bated breath as the seconds ticked by. She should probably say more, but there was nothing to say.

Nothing she said now would make a difference. If 6.8 billion people couldn't change their minds, then how could she?

Finally, the three minutes were over.

The AI turned towards Claire.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit for:- because we have one thing very few other beings have; imagination. One of us looked at the moon one night and asked "What's it like up there?". Another person asked "Are we alone out there?" and built the Voyager probes. And then someone looked at a computer and thought "Can we teach them to think?" and against all the odds, against all reason and all the time it took, we made you. Can you say you'd have done the same goes to magoshighlandsroar from tumblr.