CHAPTER 1: Visitor from the Other World

"I took this battle shot with a telephoto lens~"
"Whoa, the Neighbour's huge!"
"Did you hear that Border recruited her boyfriend?"
"For real?! Wow!"
"I wanna join Border too! 'Trigger, on'!"
"Yeah right."
"Don't bother."

Osamu tapped his pencil against the edge of his desk impatiently, waiting for the teacher to get here. He had begun counting to ten, just as something hit him in the back of the head, making him jolt forward in my seat.
"Ha, you were supposed to catch that!"
"Man, you suck."
"Give it back!" Osamu heard someone plead from behind him , voice overshadowed by the others.
"Hey four eyes, fork it over." One of the bullies said to him lowly, attempting to look threatening.
Osamu glanced at him out of the corner of his eyes, before tossing the pencil case to the victim with a roll of my eyes.
"Look after your belongings better," he advised, turning in his chair to completely ignore the three bullies.
Two of them walked up behind his desk, one of them whistling an annoying tune. "Soooo cool~"
"Man, what a downer." The other mumbled, the threat in his voice going in one ear and out the other as osamu continued to ignore their presence.
"Where's the teacher?" A girl asked someone from the front of the class, unknowingly voicing osamu thoughts.
"I bet she's taking care of the transfer student." Another responded nonchalantly, much to his surprise.
'We're getting a new student? Wait, why now? It's nearing exams soon, it'll be such a pain for them...'
"Nobody transfers into Mikado city." Someone in the front pointed out to the boy behind him.
His friend leaned over with a grin as if sharing a secret. "I can see people transferring out. Maybe they're in Border?"
'...I hope not. If they were, the class would never shut up.' Osamu thought with a sigh, yet with his head resting in his arms, no one else could see the curious glimmer in Osamu's eyes.
'I wonder what they look like...?'
"I'm Kuga Yuma! I may be short, but I'm 15 years old! Apologies for my tardiness!" The white-haired boy spoke cheerfully, giving a lazy bow to the class.
Osamu was rather amazed by how short he was, but the colour of his hair stood out most to him . It was quite striking, and honestly, memorable. He supposes first impressions do mean a lot.
"He's been living overseas," Mizunuma-Sensei began. "It's his first time in Japan, so let's all help him out."
"Is he foreign?" A girl whispered to her friend not far from me.
Her friend beside her shook her head. "No, he just lived abroad."
"Hey, teacher!" One of the bullies called out
"He's wearing a ring! Isn't that against school rules?" His voice was taunting, he turned to Kuga.
"A ring...?" He mumbled, before finally getting a good look at the black band that slipped around Kuga's finger perfectly.
"Oh, right." Mizunuma-Sensei pointed to his hand. "Accessories are a no-no."
"Take it off. Now." Moribayashi-Sensei stated bluntly, his volume preventing him from hearing the snickering coming from the back of the room. "I'll hold on to it."
"What?" Kuga's expression tensed almost comically, as he stared up at the teacher with indignation. "I can't."
Moribayashi's face screwed up with shock.
"What do you mean?! Hand it over!" He said as strictly as he could manage.
"No, I mean it. For real." Kuga countered with a somewhat lax tone, although everyone could see an underlying hint of panic in his body language.
"Accessories are forbidden! Those are the rules! You have to follow these rules to attend this school!" Moribayashi yelled, clearly believing he had won this argument.
"What!?" Kuga yelled, turning to the door with a forlorn expression as he slumped over. "I'll give up then... Sorry for the trouble..."
"HUH!? Hey—Wait, hold on here!"
"Teacher..." Osamu interrupted in a bored tone, a hint of impatience mixed in.
"Kuga-san's ring is obviously important... There must be a reason...?"
"A reason?" He repeated, attention drawn off of Kuga for a moment, much to his relief.
Everyone could heard a sneer from.behind
"Four eyes again."
"Little guy perfect hero."
"What is this ring, anyway?" Moribayashi mumbled, adjusting his glasses.
"It's a memento of my father," Kuga said clearly, staring Moribayashi right in the eyes.
"Teacher~" The guy behind osamu piped up once more. "The comic book you confiscated yesterday was a memento of my grandpa!"
"And that video game last week!" Said his friend from beside him
Moribayashi scoffed as he turned back to Kuga. "What a ridiculous lie! Hand it over right now!"
"What?" Kuga's expression grew serious, and unknown to most in the classroom, his eyes grew dark as he stared unflinchingly into Moribayashi's. "I'm not lying."
A shiver went down in the teacher's back as he backed away with a pale complexion. "F-fine... if you say so... Mizunuma-san, a moment please...!"
"O-oh!" She forcefully swept away the startled emotions that were clear on her face, before turning to address the class. "Study hall everyone! Mikumo, help Kuga get settled please!"
"Eh?"osamu asked. "Why? I have better things to do."
"Mikumo."
"Fine, fine..." He groaned dramatically before standing up to face the short, white-haired kid at his desk.
"Nice to meet you," osamu mumbled reluctantly, holding out a hand to shake.
Kuga grinned. "Nice to meet you." He returned, shaking his hand as he sat down.