Chapter 1; Down the Rabbit Hole

"Then I shouted, "Off with your head!" and the Jabberwocky's head tumbled down the old staircase to stop in front of the White Queen, Mirana of Marmoreal. The Red Queen was taken to the Outlands with Stain, the Hatter performed his famous Flutterwacken, and I drank the Jabberwocky's blood to come home and decline the Ascott's stuffy marriage proposal." 

"Grammy! How did you meet Pappy?"

"He was the first gentleman of Japan to treat me with respect as a female ambassador from England. Hakuto came to work for me and we later married. When we had your father Alec, Hakuto was killed in a vicious storm. Threw him right over the edge of the Wonder, dying at sea. I raised your father on the Wonder just like you Alec. He had fun being apart of the Wonder's crew, and grew up happily as my sailmaker, repairing the Wonder's sails whenever the ripped.

When he was twenty years old, he met your mother. I was invited to the Emperors birthday party in China, and brought Asahi with me. Your father was excited for his first royal party. I had specially made him a poet's blouse from the lightest shade of blue I could find and the nicest pair of trousers. He wore a dark blue vest gifted to him by an acquaintance in Hong Kong. 

While at the party, Asahi mingled quite nicely with the Chinese Royalty and Nobility. We were separated for most of our stay there, a total of ten days to get the Wonder all stocked up to sail back to London. When we finally reunited on the ninth day, he had requested that we go to the palace. When there, Asahi and the Emperor's youngest daughter asked both mine and the Emperor's permission to wed. 

This was a big decision. I had to prolong my departure for an additional three days for discussions with the Emperor.  Neither of us were against the marriage, but with Asahi working and living on the Wonder, either he bought a house on land, lived in the palace, or she would have to become accustomed to living and working aboard the Wonder. 

I quite liked your mother. She reminded me a bit of myself when I was in my twenties. Headstrong, resilient, hardworking, compassionate, etc. When she declared she would live and work aboard the Wonder, I was thrilled, as was the Emperor. Their wedding was big and beautiful, your Great Auntie Margaret and her children even hitched a ride on a vessel to attend. not even a year later, my sweet little upelkuchen was born."

"That's me!" 

"Yes it is sweetheart. You looked so much like me as a baby, so your parents named you Alec; the closest male version of my name possible. Your parents decided to take a late honeymoon trip, so I took you while the bought two ticket to be aboard Lord and Lady Ascotts vessel. Unfortunately, the shiphands on that vessel were as incompetent as your old schoolyard bullies. The ship hit a particular nasty storm, and everyone who was aboard, whether it be a shiphand, Nobility, or animal; they all drowned at sea."

"I'm sorry Grammy."

"Whatever for Alec?"

"Maybe if I wasn't born, Mommy and Daddy would still be here."

"Nonsense! There will be none of that now. You were barely a year old. True if they had not gone on that vessel, they would've lived, but just because they did does not make that your fault. Do you understand baby?"

"Yes Grammy!"

"Good, I think I have a present box around here somewhere? Help Grammy look?"

"Okay!"

The chubby four year scampered through the Captain's Quarters. A dark green box with a bright orange ribbon was found under the desk. Alec raised the box over in head shouting in victory.