"Freak"

*THUMP*

Your eyes dart to the side as the head of a boy hits a desk near you.

You feel the class's eyes shift as the boy who fell asleep sits up dazed.

This was only the second class of the day, so it was odd someone was falling asleep right now. Maybe he likes parties.

The teacher does not seem amused in the slightest as she grabs him by the ear and drags him outside of the classroom.

You hear him mumbling something, probably towards the teacher as he follows her out.

Then whispers break out across the class and you try to make out what they are saying.

"The freak is at it again,"

"He's going to fail again this year if he keeps this up..."

"-cult making-"

"-freak,"

"Freak!"

The class pauses immediately as the teacher reenters the classroom with her arms crossed. She frowns and walks towards the board before speaking.

"...Putting that aside you may have noticed there is a fresh face in this classroom, Y/N would you please stand up and introduce yourself before class ends?"

You find all of the students eyes fixed on you at once as silence envelops the room.

You sigh knowing this is going to be painfully awkward. There really wasn't much to introduce, you were just a dweeb who likes games and drawing. Though, that really isn't something you want to mention unless you want to get bullied.

Your chair screeched loudly as you got up and began to walk towards the large board.

Your eyes met the empty seat where the boy sat as you turned back towards the class. You wondered what kind of a person he was, you then realized some writing all over his desk...you could just make out the word 'freak' repeated several times on the slick surface.

"You can go ahead and introduce yourself, don't worry about Mr. Munson, you'll have a chance to introduce yourself to him later if you so please." 

'Shit, she realized I was looking at his desk.' You thought anxiously.

Menacing chuckles escaped the class as you turned your gaze to the teacher then back.

"I wasn't worried," you mumbled out before finally getting to the introduction.

"Well, I'm Y/N. I moved here from a small town in the middle of nowhere...now I guess I'm in another middle of nowhere,"

There were a couple of chuckles, easing up the tension a bit.

"- I'm hoping to maybe make some buds to hang with and get this boring ass year over with. Woo,"

Some half hearted claps started and was shortly interrupted by the bell.

You sigh and watch as everyone messily herds out into the hallway. You then grab your bags and head towards the door before being abruptly stopped.

...

"Munson" leaned down to meet your gaze as he gripped the doorway. He grinned at you.

"Look, I have a class I need to get to." Someone nicknamed "freak" couldn't be a good person to be associated with, you thought.

You tried to shove past him, you failed miserably.

You looked up to see him chuckling and moving to the side for you. 

Your embarrassment began to show on your face as you dodged past him. What could he possibly want with you? Maybe he was a freak.

He quickly caught up to you.

"Hey, new kid! Look, I never got the introduction because I was pulled out by 'Mrs. Sourpuss' and I wanted to know what your whole deal was,"

He paused.

You took a second to look over at him and judge his whole thing.

He definitely stood out from the other classmates from his long frizzy hair to his tattoos and jean jacket. He was a very obvious metalhead. You started to admire his rings without thinking about it and quickly snapped out of it.

He smiled half-heartedly at you, waiting for an answer probably.

"I know you can talk," he blocked you off causing you to bump into him.

He reeked of weed up close, a smell you'd recognize even if it was trying to be covered up. You couldn't help but wonder if he sells.

He stumbled back awkwardly. You could see he was hurt by your lack of response and the fact you tried to get past him again.

"They got to you with the rumors already, huh?" He leaned against the nearest lockers and reached behind his head nervously. "I would deny them, but you probably wouldn't choose a freaks word over the whole schools,"

He let out a sad chuckle. He wasn't as intimidating as you thought. His demeanor was actually quite... comforting? Or maybe he was just awkward.

"What rumors?"

He jerked his head towards you, obviously surprised. He immediately stood up straight, flustered.

"Ah, nothing. Nevermind!"

He began to walk away, probably assuming you'd question him. Which, was correct.

You quickly leaned forward and grabbed his hand.

Everyone in the hallway around you (which you then noticed were keeping a notable distance away from Munson) stopped dead in their tracks and stared at you.

Their gaze went from you to Munson and back again. You felt their judgement, and their surprise. You felt their eyes piercing you like daggers.

Munson quickly shook his hand free and ran off.

Movement started again, now followed by whispers.

Man, that interaction was awkward.

Word count: 891