Chapter 11: The Shadows We Cast

Ed looked at his feet, speechless from the tale he had just been told. Zander leaned against the nearby wall, his face snickering with deception.

"So they... lied to me?" Ed asked.

"They did," Zander answered. "Look... I don't know how you got here, but you have a chance to make things right."

"How? What do you suggest I do?"

"Get revenge for both of us. Across town, those students are looking for me. How about we go and tell them about how you're feeling?"

"Heh, sounds good to me."

"What do you want me to do?" Amber asked from the doorway.

"Find Jack."

The wind brushing through the trees created the only sound that could be heard around. Cyclone led Mary and Samantha deeper into the woods they were all too familiar with.

"Keep your eyes open. They could be anywhere," Cyclone commented.

"Could you keep your voice down? We're trying to stay hidden," Mary argued.

"I was just saying."

"Look, there's the bunker," Samantha pointed out. "Just as we left it." A small rectangular structure sat in the middle of a clearing, covered in rust with its doors broken.

Zander marched out of the shadows of the doorway, looking dead ahead at the young heroes.Cyclone swallowed his fears and stepped out into the open.

"About time you all showed up," said Zander. "No point in hiding. I know your friends are deciding whether or not to go invisible. Come out and lets' talk."

"Who are you?" Mary asked.

"Call me Zander. I'd go into the details as to why I'm doing this, but I'm sure Cord can do it himself."

"Cord's in a coma. Because of you!" Samantha argued.

"Because of me? We all know that's a lie. Besides... You're thinking about the wrong Cord."

In that moment, athin wire shot out of the tree line and itself around Samantha's leg. She let out a loud yelp before she was swept off her feet and dragged into the shadows. What followed was a small and sudden explosion of smoke.

"Ed?" Mary said in disbelief as she watched her comrade walk out.

"I know the truth now. I know that I died because of you. You killed me."

"It wasn't my fault. I wasn't myself when it happened."

"Enough lies.Enough excuses!"

"It's time I fix this nightmare." Ed charged forward to attack. Mary stood her ground and created forcefields over her hands to block with.

"Cyclone, how about you show me that power Adam and Eve were always interested in," Zander taunted.

"You asked for it!" Cyclone rushed on ahead, leaving Mary behind to fend for herself. Slapping his hand down on the ground, he caused the ground ahead of him to shake and shoot upwards. Zander smirked and jumped upwards, allowing the reshaped dirt to carry him up higher. When Cyclone looked up in surprise, the ground beneath him caved in and he fell down into the underground base.

"Hold her off," said Zander. "I'll take care of this one."

"No problem." Ed had Mary on the defensive, keeping her moving and unable to attack.

"You have to stop!" Mary pleaded. "I don't want to hurt you."

"You already have."

Mary clenched her fists and continued to stay on the defensive. The fury in Ed's eyes was one of hatred and spite.