4: GETTING TO KNOW

GAYLE

Ever since our parents left us, my sister Grace and I must rely on each other. I hate to use the term "abandon" when it referred to what our parents did to us, because it sounds disrespectful, and they still financially supported us, but it was indeed what they did to us.

Iniwan nila kami.

They both have their own lives, and my sister and I were no longer part of it. They say they both fall out of love, and they cheated on each other so the only recourse they could think of is to live their own lives nang di man lang nila inisip ang naramdaman namin.

I was in college when our mother left us, and Grace was graduating from high school. For years, we held on to the thought that someday, mabubuo pa rin ang family namin, with our father holding on to us.

When the communication slowly faded sa mga magulang namin, with only the financial support remained constant, unti unti na akong natakot.

Then I found out our father has his own family, and it was then when all our hopes were shattered... lalo na ako. My fears became a reality and I wanted to escape from the hurt, while trying to protect Grace from hurting too. At dahil dun, nagawa ko ang hindi dapat na hindi man lang nag-isip ng maaring kalabasan. Somehow, I blamed the situation kung bakit ako nabuntis noon, though alam ko naman na pagkakamali ko yun at ako ang may gawa nun.

Noon, inisip ko, kung di sana nila kami iniwan, kung hindi lang sana nila inisip ang mga sarili nila, marahil I won't be that careless. Pero minsan, we tend to find someone or something to put the blame.

Grace and I only have each other's back. Kaming dalawa na lang ang nagtulungan. The house where we are living now is the only memory left by our parents, and somehow, we are thankful na may bahay kami bago nila kami iniwan.

At first, ayoko ko nang tumanggap ng kahit ano pa man galing sa kanila. I wanted to end my relationship din sa kanila, but Grace, being the softer one, told me na kelangan naming tanggapin ang nakaugalian na nilang pinapadalang pera sa amin because we deserved that. Sabi pa nya, di bale na daw na di sila ko-kontak sa amin, basta steady lang ang allotment naming every month at medjo Malaki din yun.

Eventually, nasanay na rin kami at naging practical.

I had Gazelle because of my carelessness and recklessness, but I never have any regrets. I am a single mom at walang ama ang anak ko but Grace and I have filled that void in Gazelle's life kaya di nya naranasan na may kulang.

There were times she would ask, kung naasan ang Daddy nya, we just tell her na pumunta na sa ibang bansa to work at walang means of communication doon. We assured her that sa tamang oras, uuwi rin ang daddy nya.

Pano mangyayari yun? Hindi ko pa alam.

We are just buying time hanggang sa lumaki na sya at makakaintindi na sa situation namin. Gazelle is a smart kid. I am very hopeful that when the time comes na sasabihin ko na sa kanya ang lahat, she will understand... and will love me anyway.

*****

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Meanwhile, sigurado na si Louie sa nararamdaman nya for Grace. He likes her... and he wants to get to know her more.

He didn't want to be a pushover naman dahil boss sya nito and he was determined to get her affection not because he is her boss, but because she will like him too.

And so, he took the courage to ask her out.

PHONE CONVERSATION:

LOUIE: Hello, Ms. Vicera.