11: Some Truths Are Better Be Kept

"Do nothing secretly; for Time sees and hears all things, and discloses all." –Sophocles

LEANDRO

I would have wanted na sundan si Grace at ang batang kasama nya hanggang sa kung saan sila makarating but as stunned as I was sa aking nadiskubre, paglingon ko, wala na sila. I tried to look for them around the supermarket but unfortunately, hindi ko na sila naabutan. Baka umuwi na.

I felt like I was always at the wrong place at the wrong time. And it's so strange that my curiosity is too invested to that woman.

I couldn't get the thoughts off my mind. I am just here, sitting inside my car at the parking lot for minutes now, not really wanting to move and just contemplating on things.

The kid called her 'Mommy" and I heard it clearly. As I think about that now, I realize that indeed Grace and the girl have a striking resemblance.

Then I thought about the kid. She looked so young, maybe 3 or 4 years old. I ran a quick calculation in my head.

Shit!! Don't tell me anak ko yun!

No! No! No! That's too impossible.

Really impossible!

No way it's possible!

I started the car, wanting to run away from that kind of thought that was clouding my mind.

I was torn between telling my brother or not, kasi I am not 100 percent sure na anak nga nya yun. I'm sure malalaman rin ni Louie kung meron man kasi di nga bat they are getting to know each pa naman sila?

But my curiosity and interest to know the truth ay mas nangingibabaw.

Maybe, I should start investigating about her. Baka yun lang ang makapagtatahimik sa aking isipan.

I reached for my phone in my pocket, dialed a number, and put the phone on the holder.

"Yes, Boss?"

"Rene, I need some detailed information about someone. I want you to find everything about her, school records, family, jobs, hospital records, lahat! If you can dig into her financial records, I would want that too." I know I was jabbering but I don't want to miss anything that I want Rene to do.

Rene has been my private investigator for years now. I trust him to give me what I want to know. I have closed a lot of business deals because of his investigation. He is not on our company's payroll kasi personal ko syang binabayaran. In fact, meron syang retainer's fee sa akin.

"Noted boss."

"I want results, ASAP."

"Yes, boss."

I turned towards the building of my condo, and into my assigned parking space. When I was parked, it was only then that I realized na wala pala akong nabiling groceries sa Lander's kasi biglang kong iniwan ang aking grocery cart when I tried to follow that woman!

Fuck! Get a grip, Leandro!

I scolded myself. Nainis ako sa sarili because I was getting too distracted sa kanya that I even forgot to buy my groceries!

Against my will, I turned on my engine again at humarurot palabas ng parking para bumalik sa Landers at mamili.

******

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Grace arrived at the Dome where she and Louie will meet. She really went ahead of the time na napagkasunduan nila ni Louie because she preferred to be the one waiting than the one being waited. She is feeling a bit skittish, and one of her ways to calm her nerves is to settle at the place first.