Chapter 5: Bellflower

Gnomeo was mentally jumping up and down the moment the back door opened. The night had been long and lonely without Juliet at his side, but morning had finally come. Being careful not to move, he managed to catch a glimpse of Juliet as she was being carried by.

Her crack had been excellently repaired, all things considered. Only a few fine lines outlined what once was a gaping hole. The lines were subtle but they would be there forever. Gnomeo would be lying if he said he didn't feel guilty and partially responsible for Juliet getting hurt. However, what was most important to him right now was that she was alright. He was also fairly distracted by the fact that her hat and dress boasted a fresh and slightly darker shade of red paint. She looked stunning.

"Woot-woo" Gnomeo jokingly (and somewhat flirtatiously) whistled the moment Ms. Montague had stepped back inside.

Juliet gave not so much as a laugh.

"Psssst, you look amazing," he whispered.

Still no response.

Now Gnomeo was growing concerned. He worried something had happened to Juliet while she was inside as he had spent most of his night doing. After double-checking that the humans were still inside, he turned and gently placed his hand on her foot. "Juliet, are you alright?"

Finally, she gave a response but only to pull her foot out of his reach and turn her head further out of his sight.

Gnomeo was confused to say the least. He wanted to ask Juliet what was wrong, but before he could form the words, the humans were at the back door once again.

"What's gotten into Juliet?" He wondered as he stood, "Is she mad at me?" The Blue stood so lost in thought, that he didn't even notice the large statue Mr. Capulet and Ms. Montague were carrying right past him. In fact, it wasn't until the humans had left home for the day and he heard gasps from across the lawn that the piece of modern art caught his attention.

"What is that?!" Lord Redbrick enquired with a stomp of his staff.

Paris, being an intellectual, examined the plaque at the statue's base. "'Dancing Bellflower' by Kathrina Minola," he read aloud.

"That is not a bellflower!" One Blue called from the gathering crowd.

"It's abstract expressionism," Paris responded.

Lady Blueberry was just as confused as everyone else. "Yes, Paris. But what is it?"

"Oh," Paris gave the statue one last observation. "I have no idea."

"Dancing Bellflower" was no taller than the elbow for a human but still towered over the gnomes. Its vibrant purple and glittery surface in combination with the odd twists and turns of its shape cast purple reflections to random places throughout the garden.

Following one beam of purple light, Lord Redbrick's eyes landed on his daughter. "Juliet!" He exclaimed as he pulled her into a hug, "Are you alright?"

"Yes, Dad. I'm fine," She grudgingly explained. "I tried to tell you yesterday-"

"You've been repainted."

"I suppose Montague's red didn't match..."

"Do you know what's going on here?" Her father asked, gesturing to the garden's latest addition.

"The humans ordered it," Juliet replied, "I saw it arrive in the mail yesterday."

"It looks like if you made a circular churro and then... bent it up into an awkward shape," Nanette rather accurately observed and demonstrated with her arms.