A Chance Encounter

Hello there and welcome to a brand new fic. A few things to get any possible confusion out of the way. Characters are aged up in this fic, or I should say that wizarding schools start later than in canon. Contrary to the age of 11, here, children start their wizarding education at 14. Which makes Harry a 17-year-old at the start of GoF.

This fic will feature a stronger Harry with a different personality. He will be more self-dependent but will still count on his allies. No lone wolf shit. Also, as disclosed in the tags, this will be a Harry/Daphne/Gabrielle fic.

Harry and Dumbledore might have some issues between them but I will not be making the old wizard into a manipulative old coot who is out for the Potter fortune only to leave clues behind like an idiot.

So, yeah. I think that's all for now. Let's get this shit started.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"

"SECTUMSEMPRA!"

Twin jets of lights, an ugly green, and a deep crimson collided in a blast of violent flames at the dead center of the imaginary circle they had been threading. Time seemed to stop as hundreds of eyes took in the duel of epic proportions that was taking place in the Great Hall of Hogwarts.

The enchanted sky above was shining red, the sun showering the first rays over the inhabitants of the massive arena.

It was their final moment, the time when everything would be decided for good, and both of them knew it. The explosion that rocked through the Great Hall threatened to blow every occupant off their feet, but most of them somehow managed to stay upright. The same, however, could not be said about the pair of combatants who were fighting each other for their lives. The massive shockwave struck the two head-on, and they fell in a heap. Their breaths were shaky, and twin groans of pain were heard as malicious crimson orbs locked with intense emeralds.

Casting the need for rest aside, Harry Potter and Tom Riddle shakily stood back up and shouted to the heavens. Bright light clashed against dark shadows as they threatened to overpower one another.

Harry could feel his wand vibrating, and his eyes widened. He took in the nasty smile on the face of his adversary and gritted his teeth. The beam in black was devouring the blinding white jet, crossing halfway through as the dark-haired wizard tried his best to push back. No matter how much he tried, there was no denying the strength his enemy had, even after the destruction of the majority of his soul. One final fragment tethered him to the plane of existence, and it was Harry's duty to do away with the abomination.

As Harry Potter looked at the devouring black shadows slowly crawl toward him, he closed his eyes in silent acceptance of his fate.

He remembered everyone who had mattered to him. His parents who had bravely stood against the tyranny of the dark forces, his friends and mentors who had stood by him over the years, and his lovely girlfriend who had stayed by his side throughout his struggles in this godforsaken war, never wavering in her support, always moving forward with him.

He had thought he would be able to take down Voldemort for good, but this battle showed him that even at his weakest, the Dark Lord was not someone to be taken lightly. He had been matched spell for spell, and at one point Harry was sure he was going to achieve what he had set out for.

However, it felt like he would come just short. The black shadows had crossed most of the way toward him now, and Harry could feel the malevolent energy that reeked of rot and horror. He still tried in vain to keep it at bay, however, the enemy was too strong.

Just as he was about to lower his wand and let it finally end, her voice tore its way through the murky waters that had surrounded his mind.

"HARRY!"