Chapter 1 - Yaoyorozu

Hello, guys, gals, non binary pals, my name is Kyoka Jiro and I am an excellent storyteller if I do say so myself. And that's exactly why I'm here, to be a storyteller.

I'm going to tell you a story and it begins... now!

Let's get started.

When I think about my life, there's always one thing that's always in my mind. And that's the day I first heard my soulmate's voice in my head.

There's something you should know about this world we live in, you know? We have a very special way of finding that half that makes us whole, or as we call them, soulmates.

It all starts in your 18th year. No one knows exactly when in your 18th year, and that's because it's different for everyone, but what's the same is it's always during that 18. It could happen on your birthday, or when you're halfway to being 19, but you wait anxiously those whole 18 years, waiting to see if it'll happen, because if it does, then you have a soulmate.

What happens exactly? Oh right, I forgot to say.

You know that voice in your head? The one that speaks as you think, as you read, your inner monologue kind of thing?

Yea that.

Well, sometime that 18th year, that voice doesn't sound like you anymore. It sounds like someone new. It happens suddenly and unexpectedly, so it can be quite startling, leaving you reeling. Some even have full on panic breakdowns. So let's just say between that, and wondering if it's even gonna happen, we live year 18 on the tips of our toes.

Sometimes the voice could be one you recognize, your soulmate being someone you met before, but usually it's a voice you've never heard.

And another freaky thing?

You know that whoever owns that voice, is now hearing your voice, wondering who you are.

~

What about my voice in my head you ask?

Well, this story is not about me, but still, sure! I'd be happy to tell you.

It happened suddenly like everyone else's does, so before that, it was just a normal day at the office. What office? The office where I work.

I woke up with my alarm and got showered, and then made my commute with my roommate and best friend, Ochaco Uraraka, who this story is really about, but shhh, we haven't gotten to that part yet.

It was like any other day at the office, and I was walking with a tray of coffee for me and Ochaco when it happened.

All of a sudden my inner voice was no longer my own.

The tray slipped from my hands, hitting the floor with a crash, but I heard nothing but this new voice as coffee mugs shattered on the hardwood floor.

A voice, one I had never heard before, was now in my mind like it was my own. Light and smooth like silk, it was the loveliest voice I had ever heard, talking softly even as I thought these things.

I collapsed to my knees, the beautiful female voice filling my head.

I ignored people as they asked me what had happened, I ignored the hot coffee as it wet my knees. I didn't utter a single sound, just listened to the sound of her voice.

~

Well, let's just say Ochaco came to my rescue that day, shooing away co-workers, cleaning up the coffee, and helping me through that day I spent practically in a trance.

I owed her for that, and I promised myself that the day she heard her soulmate voice, I would be there for her and help her in any way I could.

~