5| Karma

As soon as the french doors closed behind me, the sounds of the party dim to a lower volume

As soon as the french doors closed behind me, the sounds of the party dim to a lower volume. The most noise in the room comes from the indoor pool's filtration system, a low hum in the large space that's almost as loud as the beating of my racing heart. I don't know what to expect following Sean in here, but it's too late to turn back now. Even as I face the french doors, my hand still on the handle as if I'm going to bolt at any second, I can sense him behind me on the other side of the room. And I have no doubts he can sense me too.

Taking a deep breath, I force myself to turn around. The room is completely dark despite the pool lights casting a blue hue over the ceiling above as well as the boy at the far end of the rectangular pool. With his head down, and jet-black hair hanging in his face, he walks along the pool's edge like a balance beam as he holds a bottle of alcohol in one hand. But I don't need to see his face to know he's not okay. I can feel the tension radiating off of him in waves even from here, suffocating the room with a heavy weight.

"Go away," Sean says slowly, confirming he can sense me, his voice lower and deeper than I remember, rougher even.

I've heard him talk at school, but somehow it's different having him speak directly to me. Like I'm really hearing his voice for the first time in two years and don't fully recognize it anymore.

The idea alone creates a knot in the pit of my stomach.

Ignoring his words, I step deeper into the room, using the small glow from the pool to light my way.

"I said go away, Emmiline," Sean says louder as he finally lifts his head to look at me.

I stop in my tracks, stunned by the raw pain written across his sharp features. It's almost enough to make me turn around and do as he says... almost. Instead, the undeniable draw I feel to him keeps me rooted in place.

"So...it's Emmiline now?" I ask, attempting a smile I can't feel.

When all else fails, turn to awkward, nervous-induced humor. Good one, Mill.

Sean tips his head to the side without an ounce of amusement. "Don't play. You know it is."

I chew on my bottom lip and wrap my arms around myself. I don't know what I was thinking coming in here, especially without a plan. It's been too long since we've spoken, I don't even know what to say to him anymore.

Without a clue as to what I'm doing, I go with the most obvious line I can think of. "This room is supposed to be off-limits."

Wow, my voice sounds unsure even to me. Awesome.

A smile that lacks any and all warmth spreads across his face. Straightening to his full height, he slowly claps his hands with the bottle still in his grip. "Well done Officer Price, you make one hell of a security guard. You gonna rat me out to your boyfriend next?"

The harsh bite in his voice makes me flinch.

"No." I shake my head. "Just thought I should let you know is all. You know... just in case."