seven

Today was the day, where it all went wrong

Today was the day, where it all went wrong. Like most mornings Violet walked into the rainbow room, the children all greeting her as she smiled.

The smile never lasted long, the second those little eyeballs left her gaze she let the smile drop. Peter sat across from Eleven, playing a game of chess.

His eyes lingering on Violet every few seconds, his way of telling her everything was working out perfectly. Eleven looked so scared as he told her the other children were going to kill her.

Of course if all went well, it wouldn't happen. Eleven grabbed the card from Peter sliding it into her sock as he smiled at her.

His eyes were so bright today, like part of him knew the entire outcome of this. If it was dead bodies and lots and lots of agony, Violet would surely never let him go thought with it.

If she could see his future she'd stop him, and they'd flee together the second Eleven appeared.

Violet hummed to herself as she neared a child handing them a red chip that had fallen on the floor. "You have to be careful three, someone could've fallen and hurt themselves".

The boy huffed at her, his tallness overpowering her as he ripped the chip out of her grasp. The suddenness of it making her flinch.

She felt the sting on her palm seconds after the boy walked off. She looked at her hand a tiny scratch appearing and dots of blood lining it.

Her eyes locked with Peters who looked furious at the wound on her flesh. She pushed it close to her chest as she walked out of the room.

Her entire body felt like it was on fire as she walked into her room. She sat down holding herself as she let out a heavy breath, slamming her eyes shut as she screamed loudly.

She ached to be free of this life, her door opened and she ran towards Peter. He grabbed hold of her hand looking at the wound.

"We'll be free of this place tonight" he smiled at her "when it's the children's bedtime wait in the storage closet for me, I'll get you and we can leave".

She nodded as she hugged him "just be careful Peter, I'm worried something will happen". He shushed her looking down at her.

"Nothing will happen, promise me you'll wait for me" she smiled "of course I'll wait for you".

He kissed her before moving back smiling at her brightly as he left the room. She couldn't help but smile at the thought of finally being free.