Chapter 50

"I'm surprised they let you out to play," said Joohyun, the moment she sat down in her seat.

Jin let out a chuckle, "You know they're not holding me hostage, right?" He quirked his eyebrow at her before taking the seat across from her. The restaurant they were at gave out a soft and warm ambiance that lit up the scowl on her face.

"I'm not quite positive that they aren't," she muttered, flicking her hair away from her face and giving him an inquisitive look.

If Jin were to paint her he would use the lightest of colors and every swatch would be variations of pastels and pinks. How such an innocent-looking face could hide huge depths of malevolence, he wouldn't know. But Bae Joohyun was a walking contradiction.

She was still staring at him with her brows raised, probably expecting him to elaborate on why he had suddenly asked her out to dinner. The truth of which would probably make her angry enough to flip the table on him. Or at least, the old Bae Joohyun would have done so. This new version of her, wrapped in couture outfits without the bevy of emotions that used to flicker on her face all the time, was a new creature to him.

He had to tread lightly with her. That was the warning Namjoon had given him before sending him on his merry way.

The mission: Find out what the young heiress wanted.

Simple enough, right? Jin swallowed, glancing up at her through hooded eyes.

"Jin?" Joohyun prodded.

Jin gave her a small smile, "Can't I just meet up with an old friend?"

"Don't give me vague answers, Jin."

"That wasn't vague."

Joohyun smiled sweetly up at him, before opening her mouth, "Honey, we can't have sex in the bathroom, get a hold of yourself!" Her voice was loud enough that the people seated at the table next to them gave him disgusting looks. The waiter took that exact time to make his way towards their table, but hearing Joohyun's proclamation stopped in his tracks and gave him a startled glance.

Joohyun looked triumphant, while Jin slowly sank in his chair and kicked her beneath the table. It did nothing to wipe the grin from her face. She mouthed, Stop being vague. Jin shook his head at her.

Taking the menu from the waiter's hesitant hands, Jin shot him an apologetic look and ordered their meal quickly, sparing the poor guy from any more of Joohyun's 'jokes'.

The man all but skipped away from them.

Sighing, Jin gave Joohyun a pained look, "You going to be difficult all evening?"

Joohyun shrugged, "Have a real honest conversation with me and I won't have to be difficult."

"We are having an honest conversation."

"No, you're repeating the same platitudes that June guy probably told you to say."

A small chuckle burst out of him, "June? You know his name."

Joohyun looked affronted, "I'll call him whatever I want."

Jin arched a brow, "Do you have some problem with him?" Somehow he didn't want to know the answer to that.

The first flicker of real emotion appeared on Joohyun's face. A hint of sadness.

Jin leaned towards her, concerned, "What is it?"

"You didn't come for me," she said quietly, raising her eyes and looking at him. Her voice rose a bit, "You went to him, and you didn't come to me."